Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

The industry says tires over 6 yrs old are unsafe. I don't know if that includes donuts in a dark trunk or not, but... food for thought.
True. This is the OEM, fullsized Bridgestone that has never seen the light of day. Subaru is pedantic about not mixing brands of tires, sizes, tires with different amounts of wear, etc., and insists that you change 1 you change all 4. So far I've been lucky with flats (none) and will treat the antique rubber as an emergency donout!
Anyway, back to cameras. . . .

Is there NO provision for a vertical grip on the Z6 and 7?
If so, it sounds like Nikon shaved the requirements list to meet a deadline.
A vertical grip with a 2nd battery would seem to be a standard accessory today.
Rumour of a Nikon Z camera grip, unfortunately not seen or heard of since the launch, and it wasn't going to be like the D series grips so would lack functionality. However it hasn't been mentioned since so it may have been scrapped or is being re-designed.

I agree. However, the duplicate controls on a vertical grip are a must for me. As an example, the vertical grip on my D7000 does not require using a second battery. I don't even remember whether it allows using a second battery, as I have used only one in the 8 years I have owned it.
A vertical grip is the one thing that I don't want, I had them years ago on my cameras as I shot a lot of spot but as my interests have changed this is something that I am happy to give up. Nowadays I want quality in a smaller camera size, but we are all different and have varying needs.

Real Name
Steve
I found I liked a grip on my camera not just for the extra battery life, but to save tripod wear/tear on the camera body. But now with inexpensive SmallRig plates and RRS plates, a grip isn't as necessary for me.

Nope, you got to use your Z7.

While at a lower cost, I will be a year or two behind you. So you will have used your Z7 maybe two years longer than when I finally get mine.

The "early adopter" model is not uncommon, especially in electronics.
Just look at the prices of larger flat panel TVs, compared to what they were 5 years ago.

I think the mirrorless model for FW has been set.
The vendors are expected to update the FW. And unlike hardware, they can add stuff that did not make the initial release date. And some of the features of a new camera model can be ported back to an older camera model via a FW upgrade. Olympus ported back some of the technology/features of the EM1X to the EM1-mk2 via FW.

But like other things, they will hit a point in time where they won't ADD more features, just fix bugs, or even stop completely. Upgrading the firmware does not bring in any revenue, just more cost. And they will want you to buy the new cameras.

I have perfectly functioning computers, but Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP. And I can't install the later versions of Windows on those computers, cuz they require MORE system resources to run. And since MS has dropped support for XP, so have the various software vendors. So, MS made those computers obsolete. Thus forcing me to buy a new computer.​

Thanks for the insight I don't know what I was thinking.

the pro's weren't touching the Z cameras with the proverbial barge pole
What an over generalization. My wife is a pro shooter who switched from D810 to Z7. She desperately waits for the new 70-200/2.8, and she is is very positive about her Z 24-70/2.8.

What an over generalization. My wife is a pro shooter who switched from D810 to Z7. She desperately waits for the new 70-200/2.8, and she is is very positive about her Z 24-70/2.8.
I agree with your Walter, I'm not sure what Martin is talking about. I have seen several pros add Z-cameras to their kits. While I'm not a fully time pro, I do shoot for two local papers and have added the Z6 to the equipment I use when covering sports.

Real Name
Steve
Well then that's just the "pro's" issue isn't it? I shoot a good bit for clients (and income) and haven't missed my D850 for a second. My only qualifier is that v2.0 firmware did make the difference for me. If I thought I could use a Diana to get the best result, it'd be in my bag. Gear doesn't make a pro, clients do.

Overgeneralized and under informed from everything I’ve read. The Z may not have been universally adopted, but many of the pros I follow are shooting them regularly.

Real Name
Chris
Overgeneralized and under informed from everything I’ve read. The Z may not have been universally adopted, but many of the pros I follow are shooting them regularly.
I switched from an 850 to Z7 (shoot professionally) and 6 of my counterparts have done the same ; some from competitors brands. Several after having shot with me and playing with the Z7 during the shoot. It has been well received by those I know personally.

Thom Hogan says:

Yet there's that "S" in the lens designation. Nikon's been saying that stands for "superior," or a high end lens specification (as opposed to a lesser consumer specification like the 24-85mm has).
He also says on page 503 of his Z6/7 guide,
"Apparently the S stands for “superior,” though all of the known Z mount lenses will have this designation, so that seems like a faux marketing touch at the moment, even though these new Z lenses are optically superior to the equivalent F-mount Nikkor of the same specifications."

I agree with your Walter, I'm not sure what Martin is talking about. I have seen several pros add Z-cameras to their kits. While I'm not a fully time pro, I do shoot for two local papers and have added the Z6 to the equipment I use when covering sports.
I'm quoting the many many comments from pro photographers on forums, in the press, on YT, all of whom wouldn't move to the Z cameras because of; lack of eye focus, poor AF tracking, poor buffer rates, single slot memory card, expensive memory cards, no grip. All of these and many more issues were deemed by numerous pros' as reasons not to move to the Z system. I'm only repeating what I've read and comments that have been made to me.

That the system is being adopted is great to hear, and it is nice to be proved wrong.

I'm quoting the many many comments from pro photographers on forums, in the press, on YT, all of whom wouldn't move to the Z cameras because of; lack of eye focus, poor AF tracking, poor buffer rates, single slot memory card, expensive memory cards, no grip. All of these and many more issues were deemed by numerous pros' as reasons not to move to the Z system. I'm only repeating what I've read and comments that have been made to me.

That the system is being adopted is great to hear, and it is nice to be proved wrong.
I think there is a lot of sampling bias going on . . . coupled with internet echo chamber along with some really sketchy reviews. Do pro's use the Z? Honestly who cares?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom