Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

I love my Z7 + 24-70/f4, it is such a take everywhere combination and the results from it are excellent.

But..........

We are seriously lacking in Z lenses and as far as I can see there is no news from Nikon to tell us what is going on, there are 3 zoom lenses that cover 24mm and one of the next lenses due out is a 24mm prime, so if you love 24mm you are well catered for.

The 14-30 isn't for me, I have looked at this but it won't be a lens I use often so an unnecessary expense.

There are 2 primes, both useful and one or other may find its way into my bag in the next few weeks, but that's it.

I have F mount lenses but having to keep messing about with the FTZ is driving me mad and the extra length it adds to lenses doesn't help.

So, has anyone got any inside knowledge of when the next batch of lenses are due, does anyone have an inkling of what lenses are going to come after the 3 that are scheduled for 2020.

I have my eye firmly fixed on the 20mm to replace my 16-35 (a lens I rarely use) so a small prime would take up less space in the bag for the odd occasion where a wider lens than 24mm is required. In addition, I would welcome a Z70-300/f4 rather than a 70-200/f4.

I suppose that my issue is the lack of variety, now I wasn't expecting a full range on day 1 or within a month or two but I was expecting a great variety of optical excellence from Nikon, the range is a touch narrow.

If there is any info out there that I have missed please point me in the right direction, otherwise it would be good to get other peoples views on the Z range now that we are heading towards the first anniversary of the launch announcement.

I look forward to your comments.

The best I've seen is this: Nikon Z Lens Roadmap (Updated 2019 Edition)

Admittedly not much to go on, but it's all we've got :cool:

Yes, that's just it, it is all we have to go on, we are all but year in from the initial announcement and the sound of silence from Nikon is deafening. I love the system I just wish that there was more information available that showed what was coming to allow us to plan our future investment into the system.

Ideally my bag would comprise of Z7, 24-70/f4, 20/f1.8, either 35/f1.8 or 50/1.8, 70-300/f4 (hopefully released), that gives me a small compact system to cater for most situations.

Real Name
Don Roy
Nikon doesn't really need to be in a hurry thanks to the excellent FTZ. Millions of copies of quality Nikon optics out there until native mount options are available.
I'm new to Nikon with the Z6 and I have no intention of buying F lenses just because there are no Z. The sooner the better for more Z glass please:).

I would be happy with 24-105/4.
That would make a good travel lens!! I haven't even used my 24-120 f4 on the Z6. It's so heavy and the 24-70 f4 is so good. But the longer focal length would be useful, although I have Greg to carry my 70-300 f4.5-5.6 for me. I keep the FTZ adapter on it and can easily swap it out when I need more length. We are going to go hiking tomorrow and I'm going to take the Z6. Last time I took the D5600 and really missed the viewfinder on the Z6. I'll see how the heavier camera feels when I carry it for a longer period of time. I am not that frustrated with the lack of native lenses so far. I hope the Z cameras are selling well so Nikon will keep producing more lenses for them. I wonder if a native 24-105 or 24-120 would be a lot heavier than the 24-70?

Very, very quick reactions to my first hours with a Z6.
Viewfinder is the absolute best! Bar none.
Handles so well and is easy to operate. A lot less user induced movement than with my D850. Weight and size are great.
24-70 f/4 is very sharp, light and a joy to use.
FTZ makes the rest of my arsenal work just fine. 16-35 f/4; 24-120 f/4; 70-200 f/4; and 200-500 f5.6 (with 1.4 TC). NO problems so far.
Menu system is similar to D850 et al., but will need time to train my fingers since the Z6 uses the menus more than dedicated buttons.
I wish the viewfinder grid wans't so bright---a mid grey would be fine.
Camera Manual is better than D850s but still could use some help :)
Focus is amazing; shots are sharp; love the silence.
Thanks to all who have gone before and recommended the Z6. I think it will make a great partner to the D850.

What lenses do I miss/long for? Probably a macro. Also, I'm guessing a PC S-lens would work very well because of the large diameter mount. Right? or would the low flange distance deal it a death knell?

Picture are forthcoming.

Yes, I know this IS a lens thread . . . .

Handles so well and is easy to operate. A lot less user induced movement than with my D850. Weight and size are great.
FTZ makes the rest of my arsenal work just fine. 16-35 f/4; 24-120 f/4; 70-200 f/4; and 200-500 f5.6 (with 1.4 TC). NO problems so far.
Menu system is similar to D850 et al., but will need time to train my fingers since the Z6 uses the menus more than dedicated buttons.
Thanks to all who have gone before and recommended the Z6. I think it will make a great partner to the D850.

What lenses do I miss/long for? Probably a macro. Also, I'm guessing a PC S-lens would work very well because of the large diameter mount. Right? or would the low flange distance deal it a death knell?

Picture are forthcoming.

I thought you would like it. The viewfinder is the thing I love most as well as the image stabilization! I’ll never go back to a DSLR for the type of shooting I do.

It will definitely expand my shooting to areas I have avoided. D850 for landscape and some wild life, Z6 for everything else, especially people and community and travel. Here are 4 taken just after 9 PM. My wife is in Boise and wanted to see some pictures.

1. Neighbors through the spruce tree
dump8_Nik_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Wife's daisies
dump10_Nik_DxO.jpg

3. Home sweet home
dump11_Nik_DxO.jpg

4. Wife's petunias
dump12_Nik_DxO.jpg

Are you sure that there will be any new lens at all? I have Z6 and Z7 and be waiting for Z85 and Z70-200/2.8. Both lenses are announced for 2019 but there is nothing to read about the expected release date.

The price of the cameras has been reduced drastically. Could it be that Nikon will empty their stock and discontinue the DSLM line? Considering the market share where Nikon is allegedly way behind Sony and Canon this could make sense from an oeconomic perspective.

We will see...

This being mid July probably early for new announcements. I would expect fresh rumors and announcements from September 2019. Expecting Santa at Christmas with Z70-200.

I cant see Nikon finishing off mirrorless, they just started and photographic industry future looks mirrorless.

Last edited:
Real Name
Don Roy
That's a shame as you'll miss out on some great optics and excellent prices. :)
I know, and agree :(. I've been deathly allergic to shellfish all my life, so I'm used to missing out on things the world says is great :happy:. My wallet is incessantly telling me to 'choose wisely', which I usually translate to 'wait for the perfect option'.

Picture are forthcoming.

I didn't know you had succumbed.

Real Name
Andrew
I know, and agree :(. I've been deathly allergic to shellfish all my life, so I'm used to missing out on things the world says is great :happy:. My wallet is incessantly telling me to 'choose wisely', which I usually translate to 'wait for the perfect option'.

Yeah, don't listen to me... I'll talk you into lenses that you didn't know you needed/wanted. Lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom