Lack of Z lenses - Nikon lets have an update please

I haven't made any new purchases recently as far as camera gear, have been kind of watching, waiting and watching some more.....but at this point I am still leaning in the direction of a Sony A7R III (prices are already dropping thanks to the announcement of the new A7R IV) and a couple of lenses, one in particular being the reportedly fantastic 90mm f/2.8 macro that Sony offers, plus the also very versatile 24-105mm all-around kind of lens.... I really do not want to mess around with adapters and such (not to mention that not all of my lenses would work with that FTZ adapter, anyway). The reality for me right now is Nikon does not have what I would want with regard to new lenses and their venture into the world of mirrorless is still pretty new as opposed to what Sony has been doing for a number of years. I've always loved Nikon and it really will be a sad day for me when and if I do make that decision to actually move on by selling my Nikon gear and buying the Sony body and lenses that I want and think will better serve my needs now.....

I haven't made any new purchases recently as far as camera gear, have been kind of watching, waiting and watching some more.....but at this point I am still leaning in the direction of a Sony A7R III (prices are already dropping thanks to the announcement of the new A7R IV) and a couple of lenses, one in particular being the reportedly fantastic 90mm f/2.8 macro that Sony offers, plus the also very versatile 24-105mm all-around kind of lens.... I really do not want to mess around with adapters and such (not to mention that not all of my lenses would work with that FTZ adapter, anyway). The reality for me right now is Nikon does not have what I would want with regard to new lenses and their venture into the world of mirrorless is still pretty new as opposed to what Sony has been doing for a number of years. I've always loved Nikon and it really will be a sad day for me when and if I do make that decision to actually move on by selling my Nikon gear and buying the Sony body and lenses that I want and think will better serve my needs now.....

I have no wish or intention to jump ship to any other brand but as I have stated I am concerned that the Z series of lenses isn't growing / developing as quickly as I had hoped for.

The 58mm Noct was part of the launch advert but where is it, the longest lens that we have in Z mount is 70mm but as I mentioned in my earlier post there are 3 lenses covering 24mm and a 24mm prime due this year. I believe that the 24-70/f2.8 was the wrong lens to launch this year, Nikon should have launched a telephoto first, extended the reach of the system from 14mm through to 200 or 300mm.

The FTZ does work and it does allow me to use 'F' mount lenses on my Z7 but it is the extra length that it adds to my smaller primes that I don't like, it turns small lenses into big lenses. I don't mind the FTZ on my 70-200 but the 16-35 (on the rare occasion it is used) just becomes a bizarre looking lump on the Z7, unbalanced and awkward to use.

Also, two 24-70 lenses, why not a 24-105 as others have mentioned, most other systems have this lens it would have been a great travel / all round lens.

I do believe that Nikon are banking on the FTZ to keep people happy but other brands have a better line up, the Panasonic full frame line up exceeds what Nikon have on the market and Panasonic are the new boys in town.

To me it is clear that Nikon are lost in terms of what direction they need to take, their thinking is muddled and they have not taken the opportunity to develop their new Z lens range in a way that maximises the benefits of the mount.

It will definitely expand my shooting to areas I have avoided. D850 for landscape and some wild life, Z6 for everything else, especially people and community and travel. Here are 4 taken just after 9 PM. My wife is in Boise and wanted to see some pictures.

1. Neighbors through the spruce tree
View attachment 1642047

2. Wife's daisies
View attachment 1642048

3. Home sweet home
View attachment 1642049

4. Wife's petunias
View attachment 1642050
Nice start! I love your house!

Real Name
David
I guess maybe I'm in the minority. I like what Nikon has done (for the most part) with their Z line so far. Yes they should have started a few years ago and they would not be so far behind Sony.

But compared to Canon? Nikon has capable cameras and lenses that make sense together. Compare that with what Canon has done. They're pushing a $1,299 body, but the only glass really designed for it and available are the 24-105 f/4 and 35mm f/1.8. The other 3 native lenses for Canon are $2,299 / $2,699 / $2,999. I'll bet when the 15-35 f/2.8 gets released it will also be close that $3,000 mark. Nikon on the other hand has 2 primes and 3 zooms; only the 24-70 f/2.8 is over $2,000.

The Z6 with a 14-24, 24-70 is a kit that has me thinking. The only thing it's missing for me is a native telephoto in the 70-300 range. When they add that I might really be in trouble.

As for what Panasonic has to offer? I think it's not really fair to compare since they are jumping on board an existing format with partners they have been working with for more than a dozen years. And they have a bit more money to spend.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I think we will get two Z lenses in late August (85mm and 70-200 F4???) and maybe another one before Christmas, but I also think there will be at least another Z body probably a low end one to compete with Canon's RP. I think that the higher end Z body will come early mid next year.

But then again what do I know? With the crowding going on in the FF market, one has to be nimble to succeed, not something Nikon nor Canon are used to, Sony is likely to come with an A9 Mark II mid fall that will put Sony in a good position with the already announced 7R Mk IV.

As for me I'm just sitting pretty and waiting until I'm convinced it is really worth it to add or upgrade, I have so much capable gear, that I'm at a loss of what to use, and its summer anyway and less to shoot with the harsh light...

News about the 85mm: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/07/24/rumors-nikon-nikkor-z-85mm-f-1-8-s-lens-coming-next-week.aspx/

I guess the new 70-200 F2.8 will be released in Q4.

I bought the Z7 last week together with the Z 24-70 F2.8. I sold my D800 together with my f-mounted 14-24 F2.8, F24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8. I now admit selling all those was quite impulsive. I still have some macro lenses and my D500 with the 200-500.

Now I want to buy a wide angle lens. It's really great that you can use filters on the 14-30 and that it is really small. But I have read a couple times about versions which are not sharp. Not sure about what to do. I can wait for the new Z 12-24 F2.8 next year. But on the other hand, will it be possible to use filters? I hardly used my 14-24 because of that ...

I'm not worried about the lack of Z lenses. The FTZ adapter is great, so I see no rush to swap out a wonderful 70-200mm just because a Z-series one comes out. I have a 17-35mm that is old, grinds when zooming, and squeaks when focusing. This one I will probably swap out with a new Z 14-24mm when it comes out in 2020, or I might push it out longer. It grinds and squeaks, but still works.

But I'm also in the camp that thinks the Z cameras are to small, so I'm not worried about weight or the added size the FTZ and F mount lenses come out to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom