Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive

Took a drive to this interesting place as a break in the middle of the day from too much waterskiing. The best time for wildlife viewing as early in the mornings, but we were curious to see this interesting place.

This region was filled with large farms through the 1940-1980's. Sadly, the combination of farming techniques, pesticides and fertilizers destroyed the water quality and surrounding marshes. The lake was identified for cleanup under Florida’s Surface Water Improvement and Management Act of 1987.
The former farmlands make up the Lake Apopka North Shore, a restoration area where the St. Johns River Water Management District’s major activities include marsh and floodplain restoration and the creation of a marsh flow-way that filters Lake Apopka’s waters by circulating lake water through restored wetlands, returning cleaner water to the lake. The wildlife drive is along a portion of the former farm fields.

1. The old pumping station (taken by my son).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. View from one of the marshes with Lake Apopka beyond. 4th largest lake in Florida. Afternoon summer storm clouds gathering.

3. Not much active wildlife late on this hot summer day.

4. It's an 11 mile one way drive and the road is only open on weekends and national holidays. It is an active water treatment/reclamation area worksite during the week. My son on one of the surface roads.

5. Typical Florida summer afternoon view. We were treated to some impressive rain and lightning on our drive back to the lake house.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
These are great Mitch. Never been there myself. I wonder how #2 would look cropped up from the bottom and converted to black and white? I'm imagining a Clyde Butcher / Florida Everglades look with those wonderful clouds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are great Mitch. Never been there myself. I wonder how #2 would look cropped up from the bottom and converted to black and white? I'm imagining a Clyde Butcher / Florida Everglades look with those wonderful clouds.
Thanks for that good thought, Walter. I was considering some closer crops of the pump house in B&W but will now also play with #2.

Enjoyable set, nice clouds and reflections.
Thanks, Binnur.

Here are a couple in B&W as suggested.

this place has been on my list for sometime
note they are only open Friday-Sunday and some holidays
I will likely return, but the hours are certainly restrictive. It is a fantastic place for birding. When I spoke with the worker at the gate who was an avid birder, he admonished me for not getting there right when they open in the morning.

In 1998 they had a record 174 bird species sighted on Christmas Day.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom