1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lake Erie Metro Park's annual Hawkfest!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Argent, Sep 20, 2008.

1. well I spent the day outside on the banks of Lake Erie at the annual Hawkfest!

Here's a few of my keepers....

American Kestrel
    hawkfest06.

Screech Owl
    View attachment 255059

Barred Owl
    View attachment 255060

One pair of Sharp-shinned Hawks that they were releasing back in to the wild at the fest
    View attachment 255061

then Michigan Falconers was there with this American Kestrel (see the thin black line off his back? that's the antenna to his radio transmitter!)
    View attachment 255062

And they had a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks as well
    View attachment 255063

oh and I can't go anywhere without a Dragon shot :) 
    View attachment 255064

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  2. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Hi Paul, must have been a great day and quite a thrill to see those wonderful birds up close and personal! Thanks for sharing your day spent with them. I hope they didn't tell you that bird was a Merlin, as it looks like a Kestrel.

Beautiful dragonfly shot!

3. you're right my bad - I must have mis-heard someone (going back to edit the original post)

that one the falconer had - was quite the talker :)  and I never realized just how small sharp-shinned's were

There were more birds but the one lady had them all under a tent canopy and it was hard to shoot in that light - besides the screech and barred owls and the kestrel she also had a turkey vulture and a juvenile bald eagle (wow that was huge!)

4. hi paul, what a great day. you have got some great photos there, i really like the american kestrel shots, those two are really sharp

5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Black Swamp is having their's next week and I can't go. :(  They are actually taking a trip over to your area as part of the weekend. Thanks for showing some of the pics from there. Some of those, I've not seen yet...I cant wait until I do now.

Did you rub the Eagles beak?...I brings good luck you know. Ever since I did, all of my images have been perfect....not!:biggrin: It's hard to press the shutter button with your thumb...JK :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.