Lame concept?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, May 4, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My last non-project exercise of my photography class. I dug out my 4x5 camera and developing tank, shot some buildings on campus onto +x at f/16, then souped the sheets in 1:1 D76 for 7 minutes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great work

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Lo. Any greatness in these is from the camera and lens. I just pointed it and pushed the button as an exercise in using the perspective controls of the Crown Graphic camera. I like the clean lines though. One of the benefits of such a huge negative.

4. kool shots, large form has its appeal
    i like the second photo, the flag and the roofline on the right work well
    the third photo, like the motion guy

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I know - the camera has neither gridlines nor a spirit level. Totally leveled by eye!

I think you are talking about the cactus picture, or the doll, right? Those were made on 5x7 B&J camera and 'old' trix, and to my eye have a LOT more ... umph.

So yeah, I agree. These are Zzzzz as they stand. Of course if I print them 20x24 inches with a #3 filter and give them to the school to hang in the lobby of the Bulpitt Auditorium ... :Wink:

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chris, not a lame concept at all. It's difficult not to like the fine detail and smoothness of 4X5 photos. With your permission I did a little levels, curves and sharpness adjustment to one of the pictures - realizing, of course, that one man's pudding could be another's poison. :smile:

[​IMG]

9. I'm jealous. Too cool for skool.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Paul. :Wink:

Yep Ray, it's the detail that really makes large film sing. I really like your take on this negative! Very graphic - thanks for your work.

Actually it is skool Ed. :Wink: Thank you!

11. Chris, all I did really was use the eye droppers in curves in what I thought were appropriate tonal areas! I think these will look great on real prints!
    About large format photos, two of my most prized possessions are prints given to me by an old friend and mentor, Herb Quick, a fine local photographer who passed away a few months ago. Here is a link to a list of collections where some of his work currently resides. http://www.intangible.org/Features/Quick/Chronology/ChronoCollect.html
    And a link to some examples of some of his work. I owe a lot to this man! http://www.intangible.org/Features/Quick/Portraits/Portra.html