Landscape Kung-Fu Grip

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by davewolfs, Jul 31, 2008.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I must say, I am pretty dissapointed in not being able to shoot landscapes without a tripod as I am "gripless".

I called RRS today and there is no ETA as to when their new L plate design for the D700 will be released (who did they have prototype their original clunker?).

Anyhow, I'm tempted to go with a kirk plate. Any experience using kirk plates on RRS ball heads?

My landscape kung fu grip appears to be decent but is also annoying.

Here is one of my first D700 photos.

[​IMG]

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Beautiful photo!

I use Kirk L-plates on an RRS head - never had a problem at all. They mate perfectly together and are rock solid.

3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
  4. very nice image... grip or not
    folks above have given you some good advice
    i just wanted to coment on how much i liked this image

5. Wow, superb capture.

6. Beautiful image Dave. I used a Kirk L plate with my RRS lever release clamp for a while. It worked fine (despite the warnings on the RRS site).

7. First off Dave, that is one HECK of a gorgeous image. Just beautiful! :888:

Second, I used a Kirk l-bracket on my D300 mounted in my RRS stuff lever clamps. I saw no problem. Interestingly, I have an old 300/4 with an old RRS plate, and it does not fit. Go figure! I am unsure if this is really a problem, or RRS wants to sell more of their stuff???

Third, that RRS design is awful. With my kirk plate, I just left it on all the time. No way I could do that with the RRS design... I am unsure which way I am going to go at this point. I have a regular plate for the grip, and may just use that for a while until things get sorted out.

8. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful shot. Hope your plate thing works out for you.

9. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Thanks for the comments. I'm still undecided about the plate. I called a local shop and they have benro plates for $10 so if one of those fits I might do with that for a bit.

I'm partial to RRS (not sure why), I really don't understand what they were thinking with the initial D700 design, but it is good to know that they will be going with a more traditional plate.

10. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow, great shot! Am impressed on your kung fu grip skill, too. :cool: 

11. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Not the cheapest solution, but has worked well for me over the past few years:

I ended up buying a Wimberley P5 Arca-Type Universal Quick Release Plate for times like this. It works any new camera I acquire until RRS produces the L-bracket for the new camera, and is attached to my P&S at other times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.