Landscape lens ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by HAVOC, May 21, 2005.

1. Which lens do you favour for your landscape photography and why ? I'm wanting to look at all the candidates before i make my mind up, including Sigma,Tamron and Tokina as well as Nikon of course. Help will be much appreciated and needed !

2. GeneR

GeneR Guest

I bought the 12-24 DX for landscapes, and it is a good lens, sharp with nice color. But, I found that 24mm is often not as long as I liked when hiking around on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I eventually bought a 17-35 Nikkor, which I like better. They are both fine lenses, but the range of the 17-35 works better for me.

I also considered the Sigma 12-24 before I bought the DX, but was bothered somewhat by its inability to use my existing filters (at least that is what it looked like to me; someone else may know how to use filters with that big front element sticking out). It may well be as good as the Nikkor, and you could save some money. Tamron and Tokina did not anything like that out when I was looking. Were I in the market now, I'd take a close look at those as well.

Good shooting,

Gene

3. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Will filters work on the 17-35?

4. GeneR

GeneR Guest

Filters work fine with the 17-35, and the front does not rotate. The 17-35 is extremely resistant to flare and ghosting. And the build of the lens is just fabulous. Of course it should be, as it is not a cheap lens. I waited about 6 months before I found a really clean one used.

Gene

5. I am waiting to see the Tamron (I have high hopes for it). I have compared the others and if I don't like the Tamron I am saving for the Nikon. It was just sooooo much cleaner then the others.

6. For landscapes I use a variety of focal lenses. It depends on the perspective I want. When I want a sense of distance or need to include interesting foreground, I use an 18mm. When I want compression I use 200mm. At this point this is the limits of the focal lengths I own. Then again, I use anything inbetween the fits the landscape.

Bill

7. I have the Nikon 12-24mm and love my landscape shots with it.

Anthony

8. Landscape Lens

This image was taken at 22mm 1/8 sec at f16. I had an 81a filter and a nikon circular polarizer on it. Metered the shot with spot meter and used the 17-55 f2.8 DX. I also have the 12-24 f4 DX and like the images from it as well.
    [​IMG]

9. I use various lenses for landscapes. My most popular lenses:
    12-24mm f4
    35-70mm f2.8
    85mm f.14
    180mm f.28

The 35-70 is my main lens for landscapes
    The 12-24 is a reasonably close second
    The 85mm f1.4 is a great lens gets 3rd place for use

Doug

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I use the Tokina 12-24 and Tamron 28-75, in that order. Also occasionally break out the 70-200VR for compressing perspective.

11. I use the 17-55 Nikkor which is extremely sharp. The 17 end gives me enough WA without distortion and the 55 end gives me the perfect range for walking around general photography. If you've got the dough to throw at it, I'd highly recommend it. It's not cheap by any means, but it's incredibly sharp!

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Most of you mention zoom lenses, but what about primes?

I have....
    24/2.8
    35/2.8
    50/1.4
    50/1.8
    60/2.8
    85/1.8
    180/2.8
    300/f4

Should I consider a wider prime lens for landscape?

Charles

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    In general wide angle prime lenses are not designed for digital sensors*, while the ultrawide and wide zooms, especially the DX lenses are.

Digital sensors require the light hitting them be within a narrower 'cone of acceptance'. That means the light rays need to be more perpendicular to a digital sensor than they need be for film.

I've read that some of Nikon's wide angles are ok though. As I don't have any I won't speculate as to which.

* The 10.5mm DX fisheye is an exception.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will stick with what I have then. Thanks for the advice.

16. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Have you considered the 20/2.8?

This is a very sharp lense with relatively little distortion that is easily corrected in PSCS or other similar software. It even works well on digital (at least mine does and I have seen many good shots with it elsewhere). But one of my best/favorites is the MF 20/4 AI - a really great lens. Keep looking.