Landscape lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 28, 2007.

1. I just returned from a visit to Florida. I rarely shoot landscapes, but it was hard to resist giving it a try when your hotel is just across the street from the beach. I took this shot from my room the first morning of my stay. Unfortunately, I got up a little late, and the 10AM sunlight wasn't very flattering.

I used a 20/2.8 for that shot, and for the next one, too. Like most people, I've been conditioned to equate landscape with wide angle.

View attachment 108299

But they're not necessarily synonymous. I used my 35/2 to capture this lightshow...

View attachment 108300

... and the 60 micro to get this view of the coast while standing at the end of pier.

View attachment 108301

But my biggest prize was taken with the 180/2.8 at sunrise.

View attachment 108302

I guess landscape lenses are like portrait lenses. There are no set rules.
  2. Totally depends on the landscape and the photographers position/location.

Some really nice scenery there. My favourite is the first and last.
  3. Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    U. Frank:
    Nice work and you make a good point.
    Only way to get this one is with a wide angle, though...

When you're limited by proximity and you need to get a lot in the shot, that is.
    Thanks for the ideas!
  4. I use 17-35, 28-70 and the 80-200 all for landscape. If it works.... it is the right one :)
  5. Hi Frank, nice shots. They look very familiar. Is that the Deerfield Beach pier by chance?
  6. senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Frank those aresome nice photos, But I can not make out any of the faces. :biggrin:
  7. Good knowledge, David! The event I was attending was held at the Howard Johnsons Plaza Resort, right across the street from the Deerfield pier!
  8. Hehehe. You pegged me perfectly. That is so funny :biggrin:.
  9. Wide and Long

I enjoy taking landscape shots. With that said, I use all my focal lengths to achieve the image I am looking for in the shot. From 20mm - 400mm, to me they are all landscape lenses.

God Bless,

Taken with a D1x and 300mm lens

Taken with a D1x and 24mm lens

10. Yeah, I use to live right up the road in Boca. I always start to miss Florida whenever someone posts a few pictures of my old stomping grounds. Looks like they have cleaned up the beach nicely. It use to be covered with piles of large boulders. Here is what it looked like about 12-14 years ago. (Excuse the poor picture quality...I think my old film scanner is on it's last leg)

View attachment 108305
  11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lovely photos Frank ....;-))
  12. What, no 85mm pics, Uncle Frank? I didn't think you ever took it off.

Nice pics, as usual.