Landscape photographer races to finish decades of work - Cibachrome

The video was interesting to me because I worked in a very similar way for the first 50 years of my career.

I did print onto Cibachrome on a couple occasions (when dye-permanence and fading-resistance over many years was critical) but I normally preferred to shoot Kodak's professional colour-negative stock because of the precise control which the process provided over the colour balance and contrast which I could achieve in my final prints.

I still have my Darkroom (and my large format camera) but I have to admit that they have seen very little use since I finally "went digital" in 2008 when the advent of the Nikon D3 finally made the use of a digital camera viable for my work.

The experience of shooting, processing film and colour balancing prints for so many years did make my transfer to digitally doing the same thing with software very straightforward and easy.

I had changed over to scanning my colour negatives; processing my scans in Photoshop; and using page-layout software for Press production 20 years before I bought the D3 so the evolution of photography and pre-press technology has been seamless but very exciting.

I am disappointed to hear that the subject of your video intends to hang-up his camera when his supply of Cibachrome is exhausted because exploring the new technologies could prove to be both stimulating and very exciting for him — and should be a very easy transition for someone with his skills and experience.

I only experimented with color in the darkroom. B&W for me because of its simplicity. The thing I like about the youtube video is the complexity and passion for the image. What a great story of a craftsman.

Latest threads

Top Bottom