1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Landscape Photography: With D3 and D300 (Winter Wonderland)

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by d_ip, Jan 15, 2008.

1. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    I had the opportunity to go out this weekend to test my two cameras (D3 and D300). Even though it’s been more than a month since I’ve had the D300 and one week with the D3, I didn't get a chance to try them out until this weekend.

I used the Nikon 12-24 @12mm with the D300 and Nikon 14-24 @21mm with the D3. Weather conditions were not perfect. It was about 10 minutes apart between the two shots.

Also I used grad ND filter for the D300 shot while the D3 shot were without any filters.

Post-process was similar for both shots: Capture NX and PS CS3.
    I would appreciate your comment and critiques.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. STUNNING! Love the color contrasts. Nice work!

3. Breath taking!! Love then contrast.

4. These are so beautiful. I've been going back and forth and forth and back trying to figure out which I prefer. There are elements of each that I can't live without (the red sky in 1, the color and detail of the mountain in 2, for example), so I just can't choose a favorite. Bottom line is these are just absolutely gorgeous.

5. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Gorgeous!!

6. This is an excellent test for all of us to see and the question now is wich is which? I think the last one has a nice glassy effect, so I think that is the D3 image. Now the real question is how much does the glass affect this? I guess the debate can rage on that question, but they are both very nice images!

Well done!

7. Lovely! But I think I'm leaning more toward the 2nd. But these are both beautiful!

8. First is D300, second is D3. It like its tonality better.

9. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Those are both beautiful shots- I love the color in the reflections on both. So which pic is which camera?
    Ah.. you posted while I was asking.

10. Both are wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
    David

11. Knock your socks off images! Beautiful work. I like the second best, I think, but both gorgeous. Thanks for posting them.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I also vote for 1 is D300 and 2 is D3. Actually, there's no doubt in my mind, number 1 had a variable ND filter, number 2 did not.

Very nice. I like the extended dynamic range look of one. But the increased detail and clarity of two. But I also like the somewhat darker look of two. So, what help am I? ;) 

13. I like the second one better, not because it is from the D3, but because I don't like the usage of the ND grad filter in the first image. It gave the snow a muddied look halfway up the image.

Great composition and image!

14. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Picture Management Settings

Were both cameras set to the same Picture Management settings? Number 1 looks like Vivid and Number 2 looks like Standard or Neutral.

15. digipix

digipix Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    Nice

Both shots are awesome.

Where was the split located on the D300 shot?

Thanks for posting.

Alvin

16. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks.

17. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    You are right. Second one from D3. Thanks

18. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    I need more testing. I have used two grad ND filters with the Nikon 12-24. This may have some effect...
    First one is from D300.
    Thanks.

19. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    Little bit above the middle.
    Thanks

20. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    Both cameras were set to Standard. Changed them both to vivid at post processing.
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.