Landscape Photography: With D3 and D300 (Winter Wonderland)

I had the opportunity to go out this weekend to test my two cameras (D3 and D300). Even though it’s been more than a month since I’ve had the D300 and one week with the D3, I didn't get a chance to try them out until this weekend.

I used the Nikon 12-24 @12mm with the D300 and Nikon 14-24 @21mm with the D3. Weather conditions were not perfect. It was about 10 minutes apart between the two shots.

Also I used grad ND filter for the D300 shot while the D3 shot were without any filters.

Post-process was similar for both shots: Capture NX and PS CS3.
I would appreciate your comment and critiques.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are so beautiful. I've been going back and forth and forth and back trying to figure out which I prefer. There are elements of each that I can't live without (the red sky in 1, the color and detail of the mountain in 2, for example), so I just can't choose a favorite. Bottom line is these are just absolutely gorgeous.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
This is an excellent test for all of us to see and the question now is wich is which? I think the last one has a nice glassy effect, so I think that is the D3 image. Now the real question is how much does the glass affect this? I guess the debate can rage on that question, but they are both very nice images!

Well done!

Those are both beautiful shots- I love the color in the reflections on both. So which pic is which camera?
Ah.. you posted while I was asking.

I also vote for 1 is D300 and 2 is D3. Actually, there's no doubt in my mind, number 1 had a variable ND filter, number 2 did not.

Very nice. I like the extended dynamic range look of one. But the increased detail and clarity of two. But I also like the somewhat darker look of two. So, what help am I? ;)

I like the second one better, not because it is from the D3, but because I don't like the usage of the ND grad filter in the first image. It gave the snow a muddied look halfway up the image.

Great composition and image!

Picture Management Settings

Were both cameras set to the same Picture Management settings? Number 1 looks like Vivid and Number 2 looks like Standard or Neutral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is an excellent test for all of us to see and the question now is wich is which? I think the last one has a nice glassy effect, so I think that is the D3 image. Now the real question is how much does the glass affect this? I guess the debate can rage on that question, but they are both very nice images!

Well done!
I need more testing. I have used two grad ND filters with the Nikon 12-24. This may have some effect...
First one is from D300.
Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Were both cameras set to the same Picture Management settings? Number 1 looks like Vivid and Number 2 looks like Standard or Neutral.
Both cameras were set to Standard. Changed them both to vivid at post processing.
Thanks

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom