1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Landscape shooter does hummers . . .

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Palouse, May 16, 2019.

1. Hummers 1: Nick 0

I was set up on my patio doing my best Nuclearjock imitation (lawnchair, drink, 200-500, etc.) waiting for my resident Nuthatch and Chickadees to wander by, but instead a well-dressed Rufous stopped by the feeder.
    How hard can it be , I asked myself. After all any number of old folks here shoot hummers and other small birds. Heck, Randy shoots 'em from his hospital bed with his eyes closed; Bob shoots them from his living room recliner, and Louie bounces around in his pickup truck shooting one-handed.

Anyway, I did every thing wrong that I could, starting with shutter speed, focus mode, drive mode and exposure mode. But being in my septuagenarian eve year I "quickly" recovered and shoot away. I include a few for your amusement and ridicule.

Well cropped, BTW.
    HUM06_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

HUM09_DxO.jpg

HUM10_DxO.jpg

HUM50_DxO.jpg

I should mention that my wife is widely ecstatic, and had made me show these to all our friends - - so maybe a few more of these and I can pop the question:

"I was looking at these amazing prices on . . . at B&H. . ." :D 

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well I see improvement! LOL! #3 is nice and the catchlight makes his eye come alive! #2 is nice also, I just like the body position a teeny bit better in #3.

3. You're too kind. Next time I'll bump up the shutter speed . . . . a lot!

4. If you knew how we get those great hummer pics from Costa Rica you would feel better

The guide sets up a flower and surrounds it with 5 flashes. He squirts sugar water on the flower. We prefocus on the flower and sit down next to our camera with a remote in our hand. We don’t even look thru the VF. We just push the button, about a thousand times and we get 20 keepers or so. It’s almost embarrassing

5. I know, I have some from my visit to CR 15 or so years ago-but back then all I had were a D100, 80-200 f2.8 with a 2x extender. And no tripod. Anyway, practice is in my future.

6. It's all about the things you do in retirement buddy. Look, you're shooting hummers ala nuke, and you're a member of the Cafe' drinking club. I would say you're right on track(y). Relax and enjoy:) .

7. I second that! Cheers.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Maybe that is how YOU get hummer shots in Costa Rica. All mine were taken in natural light.... no flashes! :p  LOL! But you are so right about pre-focusing, on tripod and using a remote. If you look through the viewfinder it is too hard to spot incoming hummers. My shutter speeds were 1/2500 to 1/5000!

9. There is
    we did a lot of natural also
    But there were thousands

10. I've been looking at the many hummers on here, and also your site. And Keith Rankin's post from 2006

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    They are fun to shoot, for sure!

12. Awesome Nick...........

13. Thanks Darrell.

14. Nice work Nick...those little buggers are quick, and haven't been real successful. Any time I bring the camera up they fly away, but if I'm on the deck reading the paper they'll actually come between me and the paper.

15. Practice...practice...practice. And...just to set things right. My recliner is in the family room not the living room. The windows in the family room are not as clean....making photography that much more difficult. The challenges we go through for our craft!:) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nice shooting, Nick. I like nos 2 and 3 for the bird's position, catch light, and color on the throat. Well done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks Dan. Now to work on focus and shutter speed.

Actually, at this stage of my skills with hummers, it's largely "spray and pray". Those darn hummers, especially the Rufous, paly wack-a-mole with me at the feeder. So position etc., is luck.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  18. Maybe I need one of them old-fangled bird dogs to flush and hold the birds for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 

• Like Like x 2
  19. I completely agree with Dan about #2 and #3 Nick. Well done!

20. Thanks Binnur, once the rain stops I'll try again, and again, and . . .!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.