Landscape shooter does hummers . . .

Hummers 1: Nick 0

I was set up on my patio doing my best Nuclearjock imitation (lawnchair, drink, 200-500, etc.) waiting for my resident Nuthatch and Chickadees to wander by, but instead a well-dressed Rufous stopped by the feeder.
How hard can it be , I asked myself. After all any number of old folks here shoot hummers and other small birds. Heck, Randy shoots 'em from his hospital bed with his eyes closed; Bob shoots them from his living room recliner, and Louie bounces around in his pickup truck shooting one-handed.

Anyway, I did every thing wrong that I could, starting with shutter speed, focus mode, drive mode and exposure mode. But being in my septuagenarian eve year I "quickly" recovered and shoot away. I include a few for your amusement and ridicule.

Well cropped, BTW.
HUM06_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

HUM09_DxO.jpg

HUM10_DxO.jpg

HUM50_DxO.jpg

I should mention that my wife is widely ecstatic, and had made me show these to all our friends - - so maybe a few more of these and I can pop the question:

"I was looking at these amazing prices on . . . at B&H. . ." :D

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well I see improvement! LOL! #3 is nice and the catchlight makes his eye come alive! #2 is nice also, I just like the body position a teeny bit better in #3.

Real Name
Randy
If you knew how we get those great hummer pics from Costa Rica you would feel better

The guide sets up a flower and surrounds it with 5 flashes. He squirts sugar water on the flower. We prefocus on the flower and sit down next to our camera with a remote in our hand. We don’t even look thru the VF. We just push the button, about a thousand times and we get 20 keepers or so. It’s almost embarrassing

If you knew how we get those great hummer pics from Costa Rica you would feel better

The guide sets up a flower and surrounds it with 5 flashes. He squirts sugar water on the flower. We prefocus on the flower and sit down next to our camera with a remote in our hand. We don’t even look thru the VF. We just push the button, about a thousand times and we get 20 keepers or so. It’s almost embarrassing
I know, I have some from my visit to CR 15 or so years ago-but back then all I had were a D100, 80-200 f2.8 with a 2x extender. And no tripod. Anyway, practice is in my future.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Maybe that is how YOU get hummer shots in Costa Rica. All mine were taken in natural light.... no flashes! :p LOL! But you are so right about pre-focusing, on tripod and using a remote. If you look through the viewfinder it is too hard to spot incoming hummers. My shutter speeds were 1/2500 to 1/5000!

Maybe that is how YOU get hummer shots in Costa Rica. All mine were taken in natural light.... no flashes! :p LOL! But you are so right about pre-focusing, on tripod and using a remote. If you look through the viewfinder it is too hard to spot incoming hummers. My shutter speeds were 1/2500 to 1/5000![/QUOTE

I've been looking at the many hummers on here, and also your site. And Keith Rankin's post from 2006

Nice work Nick...those little buggers are quick, and haven't been real successful. Any time I bring the camera up they fly away, but if I'm on the deck reading the paper they'll actually come between me and the paper.

Practice...practice...practice. And...just to set things right. My recliner is in the family room not the living room. The windows in the family room are not as clean....making photography that much more difficult. The challenges we go through for our craft!:)

Real Name
Dan
Nice shooting, Nick. I like nos 2 and 3 for the bird's position, catch light, and color on the throat. Well done.

Nice shooting, Nick. I like nos 2 and 3 for the bird's position, catch light, and color on the throat. Well done.
Thanks Dan. Now to work on focus and shutter speed.

Actually, at this stage of my skills with hummers, it's largely "spray and pray". Those darn hummers, especially the Rufous, paly wack-a-mole with me at the feeder. So position etc., is luck.

Last edited:
Practice...practice...practice. And...just to set things right. My recliner is in the family room not the living room. The windows in the family room are not as clean....making photography that much more difficult. The challenges we go through for our craft!:)
Maybe I need one of them old-fangled bird dogs to flush and hold the birds for me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Latest threads

Top Bottom