Landscapes and gothic glow

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by tojor, Oct 15, 2005.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
  2. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Torben,

Works magnificently for me. I have a similar set of filters in NIk Color Efex Pro 2.0 and they work pretty well also.

Nice pictures by he way and thank you for sharing.

Regards.

Roberto

3. Torden, I don't see what you images gain from this treatment. To me they seem a little overdone. Could you possibly post at a lowered opacity?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. I agree with Virginia. It works well on the third image, but the first two are indeed overdone, especially along contrasty edges like the windmill it is less desirable.
    I use this effect quite often myself, but seldom to the full extent. I usually apply it on a separate layer and play with the opacity until I like it.

Cheers

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks for your comments. It so easy to be carried away when you are playing with effects like that. I will try and play with the opacity and see what happens.

6. What lies behind the so called "Gothic Effect" ? It looks like a mix of a Gaussian blur and a High pass. Does it have to end up with dense darks ? In which case, it could be interesting to see the results in B&W to create a very dramatic effect.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Works really well on the third.

There are some other glow actions besides my beloved FEIVEL, Try Dave J. also.

I love to play with these. Workes nice on flowers and some bird shots as well.

For those interested, try some of the FREE actions written by DPR retouching forum members. Including our Doug Barber :>)) There are a boat load of them.

www.atncentral.com

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes, I downloaded some actions from atncentral.com. The one used on these images is Feivels gothic glow. It was so fun that I got carried away. Tried it on some flower pics too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    tojor,
    I just gthough of something. You could select just a protion of an image to run the action on. Like the wind mill images. Use the rectangle tool and use the grass area and run it on that part. Then maybe lower the opacity. Feivels has a COI (center of interest)section you can run on a selected part.

Awww something else might strike your interest is PWL (paint with light)

Check this thread from retouching..
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=11650687

Can do a search for more PWL, or paint with light search on there also. This has been ongoing for almost a year.

Two others are smudge painting, Using the smudge tool and various brushes,also illustrator look. Chip Springer is a guru over there and between those three types of art and painting ist is quite a sight to see and learn.

Can I do it ...hahhahaha no. I do use the PWL though and I do use the smudge tool a bit.

Try a search for trimoon he is quite the talented painter. I have two of his cd's.

Now if I ever get the time to devote to just one of these things......grrrrrrrr.

Retouching forum on DPR is a school all in is own. Good to spend lots of time there. AND ITS FREE ....lol

Have fun

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Gale

Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly try it out, but it is very time consuming and I'm not a PS wizard (yet :biggrin: ). I used the COI section on the third image and marked the road with the lasso tool.

Again thanks for the tips.

11. I like 'em all....especially #1

I think there is a difference between trying to faithfully represent what you saw in a photo and turning an already excellent pic into "art" with post-processing.

I, for one, like BOTH....but especially the "art" stuff....sometimes there you can turn a poor pic into something really special :wink:

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I agree. I really liked the first and third image even before postprocessing. I'm very fond of nature and landscapes. Sometimes the camera does not alway see what YOU see and feel when taking the picture, therefore a little postprocessing can sometimes be handy. :smile: