Language Rant - short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I find it incredibly offensive when persons use the term 'retarded' as a general pejorative.

I have given up trying to tell, in a PM, those who do this that it is insensitive and bigoted because I generally get back self-justifying, often abusive responses.

These responses are generally along the lines of "Well, I have a retarded cousin/nephew/uncle and I have the right to say what I want."

So. let me state here that I think that anyone who uses the term 'retard' as a general peforative is certainly insensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a person with a family member who has a mental illness, I may be overly sensitive, but I couldn't agree more with you. It is a perjorative that is used all too often.

As the parent of a Special Needs Child.... I would tend to agree.

I thought this was a photography forum, not a place to rant....

ohhh, eat me up alive on this one, but this ranting has to stop somewhere...
I mean what does this have to do with the Cafe?

People are using terms on the Cafe that are offensive to other members of the Cafe... that's what.

If you read the description of this particular forum:
"General Discussion:
Discuss non photography or photography related topics that do not have their own forum here. Please keep the discussion clean and friendly."

The topic is well within the boundaries.

Please understand that i dont mean this offensive or rude!
Dont you think its more important that how we tread people with a handicap instead of how we call them?.There are so many medical terms for disabilities that i cant blame people to sweep al the terms on one heep and keep things simple by calling a person who cant walk a "criple" a small person a "dwarf" or somebody with a mental handicap a "retard" Aslong we tread eachother with respect most people wont mind how they are called.

Please understand that i dont mean this offensive or rude!
Dont you think its more important that how we tread people with a handicap instead of how we call them?.There are so many medical terms for disabilities that i cant blame people to sweep al the terms on one heep and keep things simple by calling a person who cant walk a "criple" a small person a "dwarf" or somebody with a mental handicap a "retard" Aslong we tread eachother with respect most people wont mind how they are called.

I think the problem is that when a term is used in a derogatory way, then you implicitly (or maybe even explicitly) disrespect the entire group referred by that term (in this case, retarded) as well.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton

Well, I was incited to make this post when I came across a message in one of the photo threads where someone used the 'retard' in exactly that way and it really angered me. I have volunteered on and off with various special needs groups and their condition, while unfortunate, is not something to be used as a general term of belittlement - just out of respect for them as human beings.

I don't want to be in an environment where this is tolerated without response.

First, a bit of background. My sister, who is 6 years younger than I, has been classified, at various times in life as:

1. Epileptic and Mentally Retarded
2. Mentally Deficient
3. Developmentally Disabled
4. A Developmentally Disabled Adult

All terms used by varying Goverment Agencies. We can add to this:

1. Spastic
2. Spaz
3. Retard
4. Retarded

Both by Goverment Agencies as well as some of my unenlightened friends from my youth, who helped me to develop a good sense of "sibling defense" and even once in a while a "pre-emptive" strike :wink:

Now we have the Special Olympics R-Word Issue with the movie Tropic Thunder.

While I understand the issues very well, I do see what I find to be a very disturbing trend in society regarding the use of pejorative terms. Children, and many adults who still act like children, will always find a pejorative term to use, and if one doesn't already exist, they will make one up. Being a rather "chubby" fellow during my formative years, I could probably make a list of 20 or 30 pejorative terms I was called, should we ban them all? Yes, it IS wrong, disgusting, obnoxious, but is the solution really to continue to use some PC version? The (pick your letter of the alphabet)-word to be used when trying to convince people that somehow you are a "cut above" the unwashed masses? I can just hear the kids on the playground now:
"You, you, you, X-Word YOU! And your M-Word too ... " Because obviously we can't say Mother in a pejorative way, right? :wink:

No justification here, just a sense of reality, and a healthy concern for the unintended consequences.

I think people who is that term - and many others - are being insensitive. As a former teacher, I saw kids use the term the put down others or to be part of the in-group.
Just offensive and obnoxious.

Maybe you should see why this thread was closed.

It has been already visited once, bringing it back is not and will not change anything. As they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
When someone is set in their ways, you can't do anything to change their mind.

Maybe you should see why this thread was closed.

It has been already visited once, bringing it back is not and will not change anything. As they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
When someone is set in their ways, you can't do anything to change their mind.

Interesting, I missed that one :wink:

Actually, I have to disagree vehemently with your second to last sentence. My wife runs our dog in Agility meets, and we often see Old Dogs who have no problem learning New Tricks. Now, when it comes to Humans, a whole different story ... I think we Humans are just, well, come to think of it I can't quite find the right word to use ..... :wink::wink::biggrin::biggrin:

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Yes, there is a slippery slope from OK to obnoxious to unacceptable to everyone but I am completely happy with setting the line where I think it is appropriate.

If each of us doesn't have a line then the lowest common denominator of behavior sets the tone for our society.- and I don't want to be part of a society where a defenseless group furnishes the adjectives.

There are plenty of words that don't use groups identifiers that are equivalent - stupid being one.

Yes, there is a slippery slope from OK to obnoxious but I am completely happy with seting the line where I think it is appropriate.

If each of us doesn't have a line then the lowest common denominator of behavior sets the tone for our society.- and I don't want to be part of a society where a defenseless group furnishes the adjectives.

There are plenty of words that don't use groups identifiers that are equivalent - stupid being one.

In general, I don't disagree with you, but the crux of the issue, like many others, is the "who and how" of the line setting, correct? Heck, I barely trust ME to set it in the right place, so how the heck I can I trust you, or worse yet, some of them ding-dong Gummint Types, eh? :wink:

I sure wish I had the answer. I'd write a book, become rich and famous, and then be able to buy all the cool Nikon gear I deserve, yeah, that's the ticket :biggrin::biggrin:

...and yet many say "The pen is mightier than the sword." :confused: Perhaps he created that quote to justify the money he made using those words. The Cafe's watchwords are civil and respectful for a reason and have stood us in good stead, much like the golden rule.

I'm sorry, but I'm always amazed at how people can't just grow up and realize that its just a WORD. So I guess these phases should be banned too:
"You're a jerk" - soda jerk would be offended.
"I'm ****ed off" - I don't think anyone is urinating on me.
"You're an *****" I really really don't think anyone is litterally a **** *****"
"That's a dumb idea" - I guess someone who can't speak would be offended there.
"You're sharp!" - well that just doesn't make sense at all.

I'm not trying to completely justify people using the word, but really...we're all adults. Not everyone is PC, so GIVE UP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE PC. People like myself do not want to be overly PC. I enjoy calling people white or black instead of Caucasian and African American. I like saying that someone is either ritzy or ghetto or just straight up Blond! Well, I guess that would just really tick off a blond! So what, I think they can handle it...ever single one that I have met could.

GROW UP.

I am also a supporter of mentally handicapped people and really do feel bad for anyone that has to grow up that way and I do feel for the families that struggle throughout life supporting and loving their handicapped family members because it IS difficult.

It isn't going to take too many more attempts to sneak in inappropriate language under the guise of "examples" to get this thread closed. I remind everyone this is a family friendly site where children as young as thirteen may participate. The cry "PC" Politically Correct used as a club to intimidate and excuse bad manners and foul language is a "dog that won't hunt" here.**

There are plenty of other sites where one can say all the foul things one wishes, but it isn't the Cafe.

** From the urban dictionary "1. that dog don't hunt" An obviously faulty endeavor; also as ~ /won't hunt/, predictive of failure. No go, non-starter

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
Welcome to the United States of the Offended (substitute the name of your country if it offends you too).

Folks really need to learn to lighten up a bit, and stop taking every danged comment personally. If I let everything other people said get to me, or offend me, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. Like water off a duck's back.

Take one of these, and call me in the morning.

Chill-Pill.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom