1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by gnagel, Sep 14, 2018.

1. L'Anse aux Meadows is an archaeological site, a National Historic Site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is the only authenticated Norse site in North America. I've also included some photographs from nearby Norstead. Norstead is a reconstruction of a Viking Age settlement--Village and Port of Trade.

One photography challenge is having an opportunity to capture images without including a crowd of tourists in the frame. The interior of the the various sod structures was packed with people during most of my stay. In order to capture these interiors without people, I arrived at L'Anse aux Meadows early and stood by the entrance door. As soon as it opened, I practically sprinted the half mile or so to the structures. At opening, the place wasn't very crowded...and the people that were there took a lot longer to get to those interiors than I did. I had about 15 minutes inside the sod structures before the people started entering...after that, it's over!

1- Monument commemorating the Ingstad discoveries at L'Anse aux Meadows
    p3067638454-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- Reconstructed Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows
    p3067638446-5.jpg

p3067638447-5.jpg

4- Norstead sod church
    p3067638545-5.jpg

5- Norstead sod church
    p3067638591-5.jpg

6- Norstead sod church
    p3067638542-5.jpg

7- L'Anse aux Meadows settlement
    p3067638515-5.jpg

8- Viking tools
    p3067638541-5.jpg

p3067638448-5.jpg

p3067638449-5.jpg

p3067638560-5.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Glenn

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. My wife, of Norwegian ancestry, has been digging into her genealogical work now that she's retired. And that includes reading everything she can about Norwegian migration to the Americas. I believe she'd love this place, as would I.
    I've seen some similar recreations of Viking life in Denmark, but these are so real.
    You photographs are just wonderful Glenn, and the image of you sprinting with your gear made me chuckle!
    I remember seeing a show about L'Anse aux Meadows on PBS last year sometime.

3. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    You certainly are getting the best of Newfoundland (y)

4. You certainly have a unique skill for bringing out the beauty of a place. Your images never cease to amaze me.

5. As usual a great job.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    All images are extremely well done. Images 3, 7 and 10 were particularly interesting and well done.

7. Thanks Nick...I'm sure you would enjoy L'Anse aux Meadows then. Sprinting to the site bought me a little time...and I needed it. Once the people arrived, there were at least 25 people inside that sod structure at L'Anse aux Meadows.
    Thank you...I tried to see as much of Newfoundland as I could in the relatively short time that I was there. It's a very big place!
    Thanks Mike
    Thank you, Karen

Glenn

8. Beautifully done, Glenn. I had seen this place on the map of Newfoundland and wondered what it is like. You may have saved me a very long trip, though I do want to get to Newfoundland some time.

That looks like a very long drive from St. John where your ferry landed (right?). How many days did you spend in Newfoundland?

9. Thanks Jim...

Yes, my ferry arrived in Argentia--which is a two hour drive to St. John's. I spent two nights in St. John's, then two nights in Saint Bride, then went north for two nights in Bonavista, then west for two nights in Rocky Harbour, and then up to St. Anthony for another two nights. From there, I drove to Port aux Basques to catch the shorter ferry ride back to Nova Scotia from the west side of Newfoundland.

Glenn

10. Great pictures. Never been there but would like to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.