Lanterns in the dark

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Beezle, Sep 5, 2005.

1. The latest orange flower thing from me. I like this one a lot. Might be time to move onto another subject.

[​IMG]

2. Oooh, the colors are vibrant and the lighting is subtle! I also like your composition and choice of lighting placement. Your image looks ethereal! :biggrin:

3. Thank you!

4. Here are some photos of the setup in case anyone is curious. Note in the first one that I left one of the flashes on and in SU-4 mode. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside one of the homemade "snoots" I used to light the flowers.

[​IMG]

5. That is a really cool setup! Like I said, its really ethereal!

6. Another version. Batteries aren't dead yet!

[​IMG]

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats really great. Clever..

Last one is best. Nothing competing with anything else. In the first the blurred is fighting with the sharp one.

Looks great.

Good job. :>)))))

8. Thanks for the kind words.

Here is yet another one. This one is entirely lit with one of those keychain LED lights. 10 second exposure.

[​IMG]

9. Your pictures are outstanding. What kind of focusing rail do you have under your camera in the picture?

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Beez, and very clever and well executed set-up. The things that some photog's come up with to get shots is amazing.

Very well done. I agree with Gale. I like the single blossom. You should be able to sell copies of that shot. :wink:

11. Thanks everyone.

That focusing rail is the Novoflex XL. I have all Arca-swiss type stuff, but I figured their heavier duty rail would be best, though I had to add a mount to the bottom and clamp to the top. The D2X isn't light. I have tried it for super close stuff and it is great. A wee bit of binding if it isn't level, but still smooth enough.

I agree that I botched the mutliple flowers. I should have had that second flower much much closer. I was thinking I wanted distance. As you might encounter lights at night. But it almost looks like I slapped it in there in PS instead.

12. Really neat lighting and very inovative set up. It's always interesting to see what others are doing. Love the flower shots.

13. Wow! I thought the first one was outstanding and then you produce these too! I like them even more...probably for the same reasons as Frank, Gale, etc...no competition from other subjects. Your lighting technique produces gorgeous imagery. I look forward to more... :biggrin: