Laptop and external display calibration with Colormunki

I have an HP Elitebook and an Acer external monitor plugged in via a Display Port/DVI adaptor. I have tried to calibrate with a new "Colormunki Display" calibration tool I've bought but I am struggling to get consistent results.

I calibrated them both a few times until I thought I had them pretty well matched (trying with and without ambient light measurement etc.).

However, last night I was working on some pictures in LR which I shot using a deep red gel on my flash so there is an intense red. Comparing the two monitors it looked like the external display was slightly bluer than the laptop display (i.e. the deep red in the picture is tending to purple).

I've installed latest video driver (which seems to have broken Colormunki software completely, but hopefully a reboot will fix that) but I am beginning to suspect that the display hardware only supports one LUT (Lookup Table) so I will never calibrate both to be the same.

Am I kidding myself to try to match the two monitors - i.e. would I be best just calibrating the laptop screen and keeping it as reference then manually adjusting the external monitor to be as close as I can make it but accept that it will never be identical?

It is more common IMO to use an external monitor as your reference colour editing space as they are usually more capable than laptop/notebooks for serious editing. Having said that I have no experience with either HP or Acer monitor you mentioned.

You are asking a lot expecting a match after calibration even if the HP is capable of using different LUT's, due to the likely different characteristics of the displays the best you may hope for is a close visual match.

I would be producing a profile based on the 'best' or 'most used' monitor and going for as close a look for the second as possible

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too, having done some research.

I'm thinking that the laptop display would be better as my reference as that would be the one I might travel with - but I take your point about capability of different monitor types.

I just ordered the X-Rite i1Display Pro and like you I have a laptop monitor with the external display. I plan on only doing the external display since that is what is used the most and I rarely do anything on the road when I travel. I wait to come home for the bigger monitor.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom