Laptop computer advice

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Pa, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I've decided to splurge on a small, light, laptop computer to replace my aging Dell. I've about decided on the Toshiba Portege series.

Has anyone had any experience with these +/- ?

2. Hi Pa,

I have no experience with Toshiba Protege but if your primary criterion is lightness, then one of the small-sized Sony vaio might fit the bill for you. I'd like to get one of those 13"monitor models (or is it 11"?). They're quite powerful too, and ideal for traveling.

My 17" Dell is just too heavy although it has all the bells and whistles I want.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Toshiba has had a generally good reputation in laptops. But I would be hard pressed to buy anything but a Dell.......

The Dell DellTM Inspiron 700m has these Size Specs:

Weight: 4.1 lbs. (1.86 kg)
    Thickness: 1.5 inches (38.1 mm)
    Width: 11.7 inches (297 mm)
    Depth: 8.5 inches (216 mm)

4. Thanks for giving me some other things to think about.

Toshiba Portege: 2.68 lbs
    0.77 inches thickness
    11.25 inches wide
    9.01 inches deep
    with a 60Gb hard drive

5. Actually, it is spelled Portege! (play on "portable"?)

6. I have a 17 inch Toshiba and I love mine. Make sure to buy the extended warrenty that covers everthing from dropping the computer to fixing it. A real good investment.

Hope this helps,

Melissa

7. I converted to Apple from Dell four years ago and have never looked back. I have a 1.67 GHz Macintosh PowerBook G4 with 1 GB of RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. It's very fast, 100% stable, and has a beautiful 15" screen. It's elegant, intuitive, light, thin, and wonderfully user-friendly. Like any machine, it can have problems, but Apple Care is excellent. Moreover, if you're near a good dealer (which you can't be with Dell, for instance), you have a good source of faace-to-face help and advice. It has Photoshop, Nikon Capture, Illustrator, Acrobat, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Final Cut Express, Explorer, Netscape, Safari, and many others. Suggest you see and use one at a dealer or an Apple Store before you buy a PC.

8. But how much does it weigh?

9. The 12" PowerBook weighs 4.6 pounds and is 1.18" high, 10.9" wide, and 8.6" deep.

The 15" PowerBook weighs 5.6 pounds, and is 1.1" high, 13.7" wide, and 9.5" deep.

If you wanted something less expensive, but with some less capability, you could look at the 12" and 14" iBooks that are about the same size and weight as the PowerBook. Look at the apple.com web site.

10. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    I agree with Ched. I used to have a 12" Powerbook for a couple of years until I recently upgraded to the 15". The 12" Powerbook was in a word, awesome. Perfect for traveling, it is lightweight, fast, has plenty of space, full sized keyboard, good graphics, and not to mention beautiful. :rolleyes: If you'd rather stick with PC's, a couple of my good friends both have the Dell 700m and they love it for its portability and good features. Happy shopping! :smile:

11. I've used the Portege; it was okay but pretty slow. I bought the Toshiba Satellite M45-S351 with the 1.8ghz Centtrino and 1gb ram. Verbal superlatives such as lightning or "blows away" have little meaning. Let me put it this way; I can load and run CS2 AND Nikon Capture 4 at the same time...and the speed is more than acceptable.

Rich:Shocked:

12. I suspect the 1Gb RAM was the key.

Right now the Sony TX651 looks like the best deal. It has a built-in DVD burner; still 2.76 lbs!

I'm not fixated on processing power. I have my Dell Precision dual Xeon for that. I'm looking for portability now, and the ability to burn DVDs of my pictures while I'm traveling.

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I "inherited" a Sony Vaio a couple of years ago. I sold it and swore I would never buy a Sony computer......

14. Could you be more specific?

15. For what it is worth, I just (yesterday) got a new 17-inch Apple Powerbook upgrading from a 5.5 year old 14-inch Powerbook (Pismo). If you are looking at a 15 or 17 inch laptop, you might want to check these out, they just increased the resolution of the screens in October. The 15 inch went from 1280x854 to 1440x960 and the 17 inch went from 1440x960 to 1680x1050 pixels. Full screen images are super crisp! :eek: Also now supports Double layer DVD writing.

Also the conversion was really easy, just connected a firewire cable between the two computers and put the old one in target disk mode. All files, folders and software transferred automatically in about 1 hour. No individual application re-installs needed, just like you plugged a new processor and screen into an old computer.

Bob

16. I've never owned a Sony computer, but having followed the trade since the early 1980's my guess would be proprietary everything. Sony seems to be fixated on owning the market on anything it makes. Their early digital cameras, as well as their current computers (and Blue-Ray) give you a lot of high quality and performance for the money.....you just have to make a pact with the devil and have to dance with him forever.

Rich

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I answered via a PM.....

18. How's the Dell served you....I realy like my D600 and D610 Lattitude Dells from a functional standpoint but the LCD's aren't the best for post processing work.

19. The Dell has been fine. It's just a bit heavy for traveling and I'd like a DVD burner for saving pictures. It's a Latitude C610, and I've had no problems in 3.5 or 4 years.