Laptop: Dual Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by jbear, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I just picked up a dual core laptop w/ 2GB Ram to use with external HD's and an external monitor as my primary CS3/Lightroom photo-processing unit. I am wondering if there is a way that I can use the laptop screen and the external monitor simultaneously for processing work. If so, is there somewhere that I can look for info as to how (or info on working with dual monitors in general...in case I have to get another monitor rather than sing the laptop screen). Thanks all.

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    you do mention if the laptop support mirror or dual display Many only mirror
    I sue both on all my laptops 2 of which mirror and one supports dual mode

3. You can probably achieve this using the driver for the video card, or try something like UltraMon:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Look on the sides or back of your computer to see if you can plug in an extra monitor. Both my HP laptops have the receptacle. You just plug in the second monitor, right click on the screen and go to Properties, select the Settings tab, and activate the second monitor. I've been using two monitors with the laptop for years.

5. There is a monitor recepticle...I will check into that.

6. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    The above quote is the way to do it, just make sure you setup for dual display, on my laptop it is called extended display. I can move windows between displays. My normal setup is to have Photoshop Bridge on one display and Photoshop on the other. There are endless combinations that you can do.

7. If your new external monitor is much larger than your laptop screen, you might have to go to your video card manufacturer's website and update your drivers to include your new monitor's resolution settings. Sounds harder than it actually is. I just did this last week, and with a bit of fiddling around with the settings, now I have a nice 22" movie display. Brighter screen too.