Laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by XJBaylor, Sep 30, 2008.

1. XJBaylor

XJBaylor

Dec 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I need to upgrade the hard drive on my current laptop (apparently 50GB won't cut it for photography, who knew :wink:) and have found a few options. Seagate offers a 7200rpm 2.5" hard drive that looks like a great deal (230GB/16MB Buffer for $90) but will a 7200 be too inefficient for a laptop? Has anybody upgraded and seen a noticeable degradation in battery life?

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good (reliable, fast, 250GB+) hard drive?

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    What do you mean "inefficient"? Are you concerned about battery drain specifically? I have a 7200rpm drive in my laptop and get fantastic battery life (Dell Latitude D630 with a 9 cell). I don't think that the power draw difference between a 5400 and a 7200 would have any appreciable effect. Sounds like a great upgrade.

3. XJBaylor

XJBaylor

Dec 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good enough for me. Thanks for the quick reply!

4. cbarnes

cbarnes

Sep 6, 2008
    MS
    Vinman

do you process your work on the laptop?

i am using a sony sz240 to work and i am getting ready to get another one- are you happy with the dell?

thanks

chuck

5. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Most of the 7200RPM drives use the same amount of power or less than older 5400 drives. The face that they have to run less (due to speed) they save even more energy.

6. Have you considered an external HDD as a option for photo storage?

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    i was just going to sugest that darrell, i would highly recomend this option the external harddrives today are great, and if you have some exra money i would look into a solid state external hard drive, no more moving parts that could fail on ya.

8. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Chuck,
    Yes, I do process on my laptop - well, with my laptop. When at home, it sits in a docking station attached to a networked hard drive and a 24in monitor. The netwrok drive is for archive, though, so it's nothing fancy. Planning to hopefully upgrade it to a Drobo next year.

The laptop is running Vista Ultimate with 4GB RAM, and a T7500 processor, so while not the current hottest thing, it still blazes for my needs. I don't run a dedicated graphics card, either - just the standard Intel graphics solution. Those cards chew up some serious power.

As far as being happy with Dell, yes. I've been a well satisfied Dell customer for 15 years. The Latitude line of notebooks is their best all-round solution, but not the fanciest. It has their best standard warranty, too - by far! You may still be able to get the "D" series, but they're now offering an "E" series that looks very nice! LED backlight and LED keyboard lights! WOOHOO! Couple that LED monitor backlight with the newest Intel Penryn processors, and that thing should run FOREVER on battery power - plus give the monitor much better color fidelity over the life of the laptop.

9. XJBaylor

XJBaylor

Dec 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First, thank you guys for all of the help. I do have a 320GB external hard drive that I use for archival storage, but my laptop is also what I run my real estate company from, so I have lots of contracts, programs, etc. on it, as well as all of my current listings RAW files.

10. If you dont' mind paying a premium per GB, you can get 500GB Western Digital 5400rpm drive for your laptop.

11. Sphinx

Sphinx

Feb 8, 2008
    UK
    before shelling out the dosh for any hard drive, find out if your current one is IDE or SATA.