Laptop keypad-Letter paint coming off..how fix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Sep 13, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I am surprised to find that the keys on my new Sony laptop are losing the painted letters and numbers. Soon I"ll have black keys with nothing on them and hard to 'hunt and peck' with no signals from the keys. :smile:

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for how to replace the paint or the letters? I'm certainly open to any ideas. Is there a white Sharpie pen made? I've never seen a white one-- would a Sharpie work?

Thanks,

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
  3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Gaye,

Sorry! Awfully sorry!

4. Glad Iliah helped you cause all I can recommend is to spray clear coat paint over your keyboard... :eek:

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Gaye,

Sharpie makes a silver, not sure if they have a white in their new line of "metallic" look pens.

My first question when I read this was:
    How new is this laptop? With the cost of the Sony computers, I would be contacting them about it. I have been using computers a long time and have had two laptops, my dad still uses my first laptop. One of the keyboards I loved, so always kept it and used it when I got a new PC, the lettering has never came off of any of them.

I would talk to Sony and at least see what they say. That just doesn't seem right that the letters are wearing off. I just talked to a coworker that has a Sony laptop (almost 3 years) and he has never had this problem and he uses his laptop every day.

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for that idea about letting Sony know. The laptop was brand new in May...so something gone awry about the keys for sure.

I did talk with my computer guru about the keys and he said many of the ones he's worked on have no letters on the keys......

I think the only thing to do is for me to talk with Sony and register a complaint....

Thanks a lot and good to hear from you..Let me know if you ever get down here again. Lots of birds are waiting for us at Ding Darling :smile:

Gaye

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi NB23,
    I'm still smiling about your solution to the paint coming off the keys. That's about how I feel about them and certainly tempted to do that.

8. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Gaye,

Good luck with the laptop, that is definately a problem if you just got it in May.

I may be back down there sometime in November, but only for a night or so. Jen's parents are coming into town and we are thinking of leaving the girls with them and taking a night to get away for our 7th wedding anniversary (was Sept. 5th) while we in Ohio for her cousin's wedding.

Jen wants to come down and stay near the beach with the girls later on too, so I may get some shooting time down there some time before the end of the year.

I am just wondering if Merritt 3 is going to happen at the end of November, we are planning on heading over for that too.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Joe,

I might be interested in Merritt 3 too. I guess it will be posted on the forum. If you hear anything let me know and I'll do likewise.

The weather is perfect here in November so hope you can get down.

Happy Anniversary too,

Gaye

10. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Gaye, there is another alternative, especially if you are using Photoshop.

http://www.editorskeys.com/photoshopkeyboard.asp

I know this is from the UK but it is also available in the US, and is a quick, inexpensive fix, if you have no luck with Sony.

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Rob,
    That's a good one.. I wrote to see if they have the keys for CS2..

thanks,
    Gaye