1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Laptop Recommendation?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by cbbr, Jun 16, 2011.

1. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I need a laptop for my 11yo. something with a 15ish inch screen that is fast enough to play games and internet video. And cheap, did I mention cheap?:biggrin: Anyone bought one recently that fits the bill?

2. I just got this one for my 13 year old daughter yesterday. Trust me, I'm all about specs and getting the best when it comes to pc's. But for her, this one seems to fit the bill just right for her needs which are similar to your kiddo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETLO6W

3. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Thanks! I had looked at that one (I am an Amazon junkie...) but I have not kept up with computers at all in the last few years.

4. I recently bought a lower cost HP, and am not impressed. There was a huge gap between how it performs and my HP that I use for work. The track pad is garbage, it just doesn't seem to perform up to what I would expect from the stats, and the bloatware is crazy.

I guess that would be a non-recommendation...

5. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Also good to know. Thanks!

6. Here's a slightly different idea...
    Pick up a refurb Dell Latitude D630 on eBay. They're a coue hundred bucks with the wxga+ screen and have lots of good room for upgrades. Mine came with an Intel T7500 (a very good processor even today). I'm running 6GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 340GB 7200rpm drive. I dock the Latitude on a Dell D/Dock with expansion port driving two monitors (24 and 19). I've got an eSATA card in the expansion slot.

This generation Latitude is very maintainable and extremely well built. Lots of metal but still light.

My next laptop will very likely be a MacBook Air (11 inch Sandy Bridge) and I haven't decided whether I'm going top spec iMac or build a windows super machine, but I have absolutely NO complaints with my Dell (now 4 years old and still running great). Ok, one complaint. Dell batteries are overpriced and the seriously suck. My laptop seldom leaves its dock these days, though.

7. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Thanks Vinman, and Thanks Danny. I passed the Acer by an IT guy at my office and one at my wifes - the both liked it, we bought it and so far its great.

8. Lots of bloatware on it but I made sure to delete all the unnecessary stuff as soon as it came out of the box. After a week, it appears to be a pretty good deal for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.