Critique Lapwing (tried BIF)

I was hoping to get some decent BIF shots of a couple of Lapwing I spotted a few days ago.

I have much to learn in getting sharp BIF but you gotta start somewhere..

Is was a cold night with a lot of frost this morning that look good in images I think. They fly quite erratic and i don't have good photo technique regarding BIF.

Some tips according BIF are welcome

Some images..

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You asked for a critique, so I will chime in.
The birds against the blue sky are not bad. Exposure is pretty good.
Hard to tell absolute focus on these small images, but look pretty good.
Looks like you could use some longer glass or get closer. The cheapest long glass is your feet. Maybe use a blind or something?
The other ones do nothing for me.
Images #1 and 2 I see nothing to focus on.
Image 3 is almost there. Bird is simply too small, with too much out of focus clutter in the background. The hard light is not helping you here.
Images 5 and 6 have a poor bird angle. The bird, or at least the head, usually needs to be facing you to get a powerful shot.
All rules are meant to be broken, and I personally break them a lot. At least for me these images do not work.
I also do not like strong out of focus elements in the foreground, like images 2 and 6. If you can't get this out of the image, I do not shoot it.
I hope you saw it when you were shooting, that is the first step. See it, then move around to get it out of the image.
I have been shooting for over 40yrs, and there are days I come away with nothing more than you have here.
These are a good start on a difficult subject- but no winners yet. Go back again, about 100 times and I bet you get some.
Gary

Thanks for your respons and tips.
This was my second time, first time was worse...
So this time i closed the distance so far i can. Out on that field is prohibited area so nesting bird get their peace.
I use my longest lens with my tc. I did get a few frames with the bird filing up the frame more, but all out of focus. I need more practice and has hard to keep up both with movement and changing lighting condition.

In my head image 3 but much closer and just the frozen grund around the bird was the goal. These are a few of the ones that was quite sharp.

I have about two month before these bird move along to practice, if they dont move further in to the restricted area.

Again thanks for your time responding, i take that with me for sure.

Daniel

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom