Large CF cards and the D2X

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Has anyone tried 8, 12 or 16 GB CF cards in the D2X? Do they work?

Sandisk Extreme III would be the brand. I won't buy Lexar.

2. I use the 8GB in my D2Xs, don't know if there would be any difference.

3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    I've used 8 GB Sandisk Extreme III's and IV's with no problems.

4. jbm007

jbm007

Sep 5, 2005
    cf cards

I don't think the D2x will support any card over 8 gig. You can try but I don't think it will work.

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    YES!!

In March 07' I bought 3) 16GB Extreme III cards. I use 1 for D2X, and 2) each for D200's. They work fast, and beautifully! I highly recommend the 16GB card. Go for it!!

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I use 16GB Extreme III in my D2X and it works exactly as my old 4GB Extreme III's with 4x the capacity. 16GB Extreme III cards also work equally well in my 2) D200's - each has their own.

7. Good to hear. I didn't want to order one up only to find it useless.

Thanks for the help!

8. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    I second John.
    I have 2) 16GB cards - working perfectly.

Looking at the specs (CF, FAT) the limit seems to be 132 GB. (okay 128 GB for the computer guys :smile:)

Andy

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You are welcome! 2 weeks after I ordered and received the 3) 16GB cards, Gino reported the big $$ break on CF cards. Surely enough, these cards dropped $250 each off what I paid! I bought them at JR. I was sick! Fortunately JR has a 30 day price guarantee, and cheerfully credited my CC $750.00!!

10. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Personally I wouldn't use anything larger than a 4GB card in my D2X. That will hold 198 raw files. I certainly wouldn't trust any card to hold 792 raw files because that is A LOT of work to lose if the card gets corrupted/lost.

11. Super! Now go out and buy another lens!

:biggrin:

12. So technically I believe that FAT32 maxes out at 8 Terabites max partition size so theoretically the D2X if it can handle Fat32 then it should handle cards at that max size.

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

and here I sit with two 512MB cards and a Flashtrax....time to upgrade maybe. (wink)

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Maybe past time, long past. I'm using my older smaller cards for data transfers between computers now.

15. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

Absolutely. I use 2GB cards to store approx 200 compresses NEF's and I have 5 of them to spread out any risk of loss or corruption.

An all eggs in one basket situation using larger cards.

16. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Agreed. But I think nowadays cards like Sandisk Extreme III/IV are so reliable that you can afford to put all eggs in one basket for better convenience.

17. There are so many opportunities to lose one accidentally. Further, I've had two fail on me and many of the images were not recoverable. Nothing is fool proof.

Rich