Large dust particle in viewfinder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahtzee, Jun 8, 2005.

1. i assume its in my viewfinder as i have blown out the inside of my camera with rocket blower and cleaned the daylights out of all of my lenses....cant figure out how to get viewfinder cleaned....suggestions?

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    It's prolly on the focusing screen. Look above the mirror, you'll see a whitish piece of glass. Simply blow it off and you should be fine.

3. Just tried blowing it off and its still there....any other suggestions?

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, you could try wiping it. Although I'm not sure I would recommend it. If you're not careful, you can actually get more dust on it to begin with.

I used to take my focusing screens off and rinse them in water... LOL, guess that's why they no longer make interchangeable focusing screens.

May also want to check your mirror, but don't wipe that as it's coated on the front and scratches easily.

Is the dust bunny large, dark and fuzzy or small, dark and sharp?

5. thx..its actually dark and sharp - somewhat like a small piece of ash from a cigarette (although that cant be the case as no one here smokes)

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Take a rolled up pec-pad (or a super-clean brush) and gently dust off the underside of the focusing screen above the mirror. But like Gregory said, don't touch the mirror!

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yup, sounds like it's on the focusing screen.

8. Przemek

Przemek Guest

Dust / focusing screen

Yahtzee,
    In my case, blowing with the rocket-type blower only worsened the case.
    I would just get used to the particle. I sent my camera for repairs to have this cleaned but it came back with a different debris in the viefinder.

Just accept that there is nothing you can do. The D70 does not have interchangeable focusing screens. This is a practical price we pay for not purchasing the pro Nikon bodies with interchangeable focusing screens.

Regards,