1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Large Family Portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Csquare4, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Csquare4

Csquare4

Sep 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    This is one taken labor day weekend at a family get together. This is my parents, their offspring, and the grandkids. I took this just before sunset, using the D3, 24-85 f/2.8-4, SB800 (on cam) and a wireless remote. I composed the shot, then climbed into the midst and triggerred the shutter from the wireless.

p641049288.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am absolutely blown away by the detail and colors that came out in the prints. Its really hard to see how detailed this is from this lo-rez web post. I printed 11x14's for all the families, and a 16x20 for the grandparents. The Endura Metallic paper at these sizes is just magical!

Craig

2. Wonderful portrait that'll be treasured by each family. Great job posing that many people too.

3. Great group portrait! Personally I would have added a teeny bit of contrast, but it's excellent as it is!

4. Now That's Inspiring!
    Great job.

5. Wonderful family portait. I have often been tempted to use metallic paper for such an image but have never done it.

6. Csquare4

Csquare4

Sep 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Brian/Sonya:

Thanks for the comments, it was a real task to get everyone situated for the pose. Basically, I had the 4 rocks to work with and I was trying to not have everyone bunched into 4 distinct groups, while still trying to maintain some of the classic posing techniques.

Sonya, I agree for the web, I should probably add a tweak of contrast, this one is basically the final one I sent to the print shop, with an SRGB profile adjustment. The Endura Metallic is pretty contrasty so the print is not this flat.

Craig

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Executed exceptionally well. Good job.

8. Csquare4

Csquare4

Sep 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Gordon,

Depending on the lighting and saturation of the photograph, I am now completely sold on Metallic paper for portraits. It really adds a 3D feel to portraits and the skin and background color tones are simply gorgeous. I have a friend that prints metallic alot and he recommended that some of my portrait enlargements would look great on metallic paper, I took a leap of faith and couldnt be happier. You should try a few out if you go 11x14 or larger. I think you will be ecstatic as well.

Craig

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.