Large lens carry options - Backpack or separate bag?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Gary Irwin, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hi All!

I'm trying to decide what my best option would be for transporting my photo gear. I currently own a D200 and half-dozen smaller lenses that I've been carrying in a Slingshot 200, but the recent acquision of a Sigma 120-300 has really messed things up and now I need another solution.

I like the idea of a large backpack to hold everything and for the odd time I would want to hike the Sigma, tripod and Wimberley to remote locations for wildlife shooting. I don't like the idea of leaving and carrying the D200 attached to the Sigma since most times I'll be using shorter lenses.

I was considering the Lowepro Photo Trekker or Nature Trekker (they're big!), and am wondering if it would be more practical to carry the Sigma separately in its own padded case and go with a mid-sized backpack for the rest of the stuff. (The ThinkTank 360 looks interesting, but it won't take a big lens). BTW my future dreams include acquiring a 500mm prime which will definitely have its own bag.

Any suggestions/experiences for those in similar situations would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Gary

2. canuck4everr

canuck4everr

Aug 29, 2006
  3. I often use a wheeled backpack (Lowepro) and put the 300mm f/2.8 with camera body mounted on it or with camera body separate in there, plus whichever other lenses will fit. I can't carry a backpack and I found it cumbersome trying to manage more than one bag if walking anywhere. If I'll be somewhere where my car is easily accessible, then it is easier to just have separate bags for the longer lenses.

4. We have the Lowepro 600 bag for our 500mm lens. Since your are going to get one, as you said, then that would be a good investment now.
    You could then wear a bag on the front like the Kata bags with your other gear. All this is if you are away from your car. Otherwise, Connie had good comments. Plus how old and spry are you? I think Connie and I will use the
    car rather than our backs!!!

5. Thanks Chris, but the Slingshot 300 is too small for the 120-300 plus other gear. I find the SS fine for carrying light, but its not made for heavy loads with its single strap.

Gary

6. I saw the Lowepro 600 bag in the store the other day - quite impressive. Looks like a great way to carry the camera and lens for dedicated super telephoto shooting. But I have no idea how anyone could carry that lens in addition to all the rest of their camera gear. Anyway, a 500mm lens is well off in the future for me as I'm still recovering financially from the purchase of the Sigma.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy either the Photo Trekker or Nature Trekker to carry all my gear including the Sigma, and consider buying something like the Mini Trekker for carrying stuff except the Sigma. The Slingshot 200 works well when packing light. After all, no self-respecting photogapher can have too many bags - or so I've been told! :biggrin:

Thanks All!
    Gary

7. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have a 200-400mm VR, and when I got it I had the same problem. I ended up with a Kata HB-207 backpack, and it will hold a ton of gear. When you are not hiking (which for me is at least 99% of the time) you can add the InserTrolley which is a set of wheels that turns it into a rolling bag. This is a GREAT setup for me when I want to have my "BIG" kit with me. I have several other bags for various size kits.

-- Russ

8. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Here is how I carry everything

9. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi there.

I have an LowePro Rolling CompuTrekker Plus AW. I use that as an base where I can choose what to use for the specific assignment. In that I have my 2 houses, flashs, smaller lenses up to my 70-200. I have an sigma 120-300. I carry that in a pelicase 1400 seperately. In that I also carry my TC.. I think its the best way for me...

10. have you looked at cambags for some additional insight? Their pictures of actual setups (like Alex posted) is helpful.