1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Larger then 1:1

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by davewolfs, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. davewolfs


    May 23, 2006
    Hello all,

    If I want to go larger then 1:1 what exactly do I need? I have seen a lot of pictures of insects that are extreme closeups, i.e. the hair on bees or seeing the eyes on flies, what type of magnification and setup do you need in order to achieve this? Right now I have a 105VR but really haven't had a chance to use it too much yet.


  2. You will need a tube or bellows between the lens and the body, or you could try fitting a 1.4 or 2X match multiplier.

    Bob F.
  3. davewolfs


    May 23, 2006
    How do you operate a tube on a G type lens i.e. one that has no aperture ring?
  4. Get the Keno Tubes, they will transfer Aperture and AF. It's like using the lens without tubes except for the magnification....:Crunk:
  5. davewolfs


    May 23, 2006
    Nice, do tubes work better then a TC? I read one post that the kenko tubes are kinda flimsy is there any truth to this?
  6. Here is an example of what you can achieve with a reversal ring.
    These will cost about $15 or so on eBay. Lenses that work well are in the 24 - 50mm range. Manually set a small f-stop (f/11 or so) and fire away :smile:.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.