Larry, Mo and some other clown

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Nov 22, 2005.

1. More from Saturday's hourlong session at SJWS...

[​IMG]

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

1st one nice comp, looks just a tad hot, maybe my monitor
    2nd one is Swwweeettt, well done the only you could of made it better IMHO is to have the whole relection.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shot Brett. :smile:

4. Humm, those knuckle heads looks familiar...

The first one is pretty sweet.. Too bad you could not get teh pelican on the left to turn his head on command.. (Kidding)

the second one is sweet..

5. Thanks Ben, I fully agree with you on #2, the full reflection would have been the whip...shoot and learn - the beauty of this hobby ;)

6. Thanks Frank and thanks for taking the time to comment!

7. Thanks Eric :cool: what is better, sweet or pretty sweet :eek:

8. humm how about both sweet and pretty sweet???

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Brett,

some very nice shots,

On the first one, (being ultra picky) I would like to see the pels up just a smidge higher in the framing, but the metering on the pels is superb, and the "visitor" as others have noted might be a bit hot, but what is a fella to do? hard to meter three different light sources here, pels, water, and egret, so I think you did as well as can be expected on this tough shot. Maybe a bit more "pop" or lab curves might give a boost to the image.

Second, even with the missing reflection, which on this image isn't a big concern to me, the light and shot is just superb. You can almost see the shimmering of the water on the pels underside, and the feather detail in the reflection. Awesome light. Keeper here!

Cheers,

Wade

10. Hi Wade, I think I was lucky to get this shot anyhow as I was panning on the Snowy and the pelicans just happened to be there. I have my reticule set to the middle one, was curious if there was a better way to do it, I'll have to start a search....

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Brett

11. Looking at your D70 shots gives me hope. :wink: I think both of these are quite good; actually excellent. I still see detail in the snowy's neck on my work monitor so I think you're good there. The peli in the second shot is a bit hot in the upper chest/lower neck area but the shot is excellent. Getting these white birds to meter on sunny days is a chore and you seem to be getting some excellent results. Can you post the full EXIF for both shots for me? I'm specifically interested in metering mode, tone curve and EV comp.

Thanks!

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jim,

I know you didn't ask me but I tend to meter on my D70 with spot meter mode on the white birds. AFC focus, spot focus or dynamic with center selected. I shoot Auto WB -2, JPG large, and the fastest shutter, widest aperture I can possibly achieve. Camera sharpening set to normal,

for non flight shots, I shoot raw, but you know, birds tend to fly so JPG for now until the d200 and 5fps raw,

Cheers,

Wade

13. Hi Jim, is there an easy way to extract the EXIF data from the NEF and post it?

Thanks for the compliments, the D70 is the best camera I've ever used (the only digital SLR and the only autofocus camera) but I'm itching for a D2Hs right now...I think I have read the user manual for the D70 about 50 times ;)

14. Thanks Wade.

15. Brett,

If you open your original image in Nikon Capture you can see the EXIF (NC calls it "Shooting Data"). There are also free EXIF readers that you can download. At home I use "ExifRead.exe". Just do a web search for it. It's free. I use an Internet add on at work but I can't remember the name of it...

Keep up the good work. It's inspirational for me! :biggrin:

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    well I just love Larry, Mo and the Clown. Great title and great composition. Never again see that.
    Good eye, great catch.

17. Great shots, Brett. For us notherners, what is SJWS?

Thanks,
    Gil

18. Alright Jim I will check into the Exifread.exe and post up the data...I know about the data in Capture but it would be nice to export the EXIF data from capture to a text file to post, hopefully that is what the exifread.exe type of programs do...

19. Thank you Gale :cool: The evening hours and the spot these were taken from just seem to be made for photography!