Larva of a Caddisfly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kiankheong, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    I hope I got the identity correct.

Taken some time ago of this unusual insect larva. It has a housing/casing that it carries around, almost similar to a tortoise.

Although caddisfly is well known to inhabit near watery areas, the ones that I have found are terrestrial. It’s carnivorous as I had had once fed it with a freshly-killed mosquito.

The first set was taken on the marble floor in my house. Took the opportunity to do some in-door portrait shots. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. This one was taken on my marble table
    [​IMG]

3. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
  4. You got the ID correct. But it wil not survive very long in dry evironment.

Interesting pictorial study.

Cheers

5. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    Thanks for confirming the ID.

I guess this must have been a different species, as I have seen most of them indoors and on land. This description is certainly very different from most online resources that state the larvae usually live in watery areas.

Anyway, to share an experience. I had once offered another caddisfly larva with a freshly swat mosquito. I noticed that it's quite a voracious eater, grabbing the entire mosquito into its casing.

6. I forgot that you are in Malaysia. I am not absolutely sure but it might well be that in the tropics there are species whose larvae are terrestrial. Many life forms that otherwise are aquatic took to a terrestrial life style because of the high humidity - leeches are the best example :eek:.

Cheers

7. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the explanation, it seems logical.

Another info: this larva was found near my dry toilet/washroom on my 9th floor condominium unit.

A few days later, I found another one, but luckily there wasn't any infestations. :wink:

8. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia