Last 4 *individual* studio portrait shots

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, May 7, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I tell you, without the "customer", my brother-in-law, here to assist in selecting the shots to edit, which, btw, were slim pickins at best, this was quite a bit more work than I bargained for, but isn't that usually the case? I've already printed them, so no changes will be made, but any and all comment, be they positive or negative, would still be appreciated.
    All shot w/D2X/28-70 f2.8 + Alien Bees.

Ryan, 16:

original.

Rachel, 14:

original.

Haley, 5:

original.

Miranda, 5:

original.

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Steve great looking work. The shadow/light ratio on the picture of Ryan is a little stronger then I like. The ratio on Rachel looks great to me. On the picture of Miranda I can't tell if that's fake tattoo or a birthmark. It's not a birthmark I would have PS it off her hand.

Cool work with the D2x and the BEAST

photo.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steve - what is that line on Ryan's forehead (looks like a piece of unattached hair.) These look good, he's opened his eyes and all.)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

It's a strand of attached hair....;-)

Steve,

These are excellent. I'm so envious of you folks that can actually take people pics. They and their mom (your sis?) should be extremely pleased.

Regards,

5. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I really like number two - she has a natural smile. You must have been telling funny stories!

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx guys, & I see the hair and "tattoo"

I don't know why I don't see this stuff when I'm editing! I was supposed to clone out that tat, and the hair strand got messed up when I was "deshining" his forehead! Thansk for pointing them out! Guess I'm totally concentrating on other stuff, and can't see the forest for the trees!

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good thing I didn't use this one then! (pic)

Todd, for a guy, I like a greater ratio than when I'm doing a woman's portrait. I actually like this one very much, but didn't think sis would appreciate it! Bet Ryan will though! Bet he'll want to show it off to all his new young ladies! Whatcha think?

original.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, he's badd.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    LOL, Chris, I actually told him to give me that look!

NT

10. Steve,

Your portrait photography is some of the best I have seen. You really know what you are doing. Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots!! :D :D :D

11. Very nice portraits. It's a shame the boy's hair "do" messed up what would otherwise be a very hansome portrait. (I raised three sons, I know. It's no use talking to them. I'm convinced all men have caca for brains until they get to the mid-thirties) :(

All three made it though though...great wives...super kids. There's hope for the human race yet!

Rich :D

12. Re: Thnx guys, & I see the hair and "tattoo"

Steve, I really like what you've done to recover from the shine on the forehead, being a sufferer of shiny forehead myself, I am interested in the technique you use to resuscitate it.

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well Chad, I wish I had some magic formula,

but I don't. I'm sure many more advanced PS'ers would say do a layer mask to start off with, but I'm not at that level yet. What I did was actually selcet an adjacent non-shiny color, and paint it in using a low opacity. Also employed my Healing brush and a bit of cloning as well. Took me forever, where if done right, prob'y could've been done in a few minutes. Did somebody say "MAKEUP"!

14. Re: Well Chad, I wish I had some magic formula,

That is the same method I employ - it takes forever. I'll have the image blown up to 400% and fixing every oily pore - I am rather put off by the process at this point.

15. Steve, I like them all very much, but my favourite is Haley.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My fave is Haley's pic too

In fact, while at Mother's Day dinner, I commenting to Papa, that hers was my fave out of the bunch! Thanks for looking and commenting! btw, "Mom", ie my sis, was absolutely thrilled with the results!