Last drop art photo session of the week

Now that I've completed this week's sessions, it's time to clean the valves, the bottles and the tubes that connect them. YIKES!

Photo #1
Mike 2021-03-16--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2021-03-16--0008-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2021-03-16--0006-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2021-03-16--0007-S.jpg

Enjoyed these very much. Something I aspire to try when time permits. You set a fine example to inspire and I expect this area of photography is challenging to achieve your level of success.

Thank you to Allan and Carl!

I expect this area of photography is challenging

This type of photography is so challenging that a key mantra for everyone who does it is that it is the process that matters, not just the end results. That's because if you don't enjoy the journey that includes all the trial and error with one heck of a lot of error, you probably won't enjoy making drop art photos.

As an example, I entered into my diary that this session was one of the least productive sessions I've ever had. That's because it was only rarely that I could get the darn drops to collide. And the few times that did happen, the formations were really short. It was unbelievably difficult for me to produce tall jets (columns), even though that's typically fairly easy for me to make happen. Some sessions just don't go well and this was one of them.

Though these photos look fine, the last three are cropped so heavily that they are only about 10% of the captured image file. That's the sort of thing one has to resort to doing when a session doesn't go as well as usual.

It is a coincidence that I just now came across a new post by one of the regulars at the FaceBook drop art forum. He happens to be one of the very best with capabilities I could only dream of having. Yet his post explains extended failure:

"Today i tried around a dozen new mixes and completely failed on most...though i suffered for 4 hrs then walked away and came back for another 3 hours and boom everything changed...."

Though such a long amount of time without success is surely unusual, it's not the least bit shocking that it can happen. During my session, I began by using two drops from each of two bottles and got no collisions in the first 118 attempts. So, I changed to using only one bottle because using just one is easier to control. Even then I got only nine keepers out of 255 attempts. I'm glad every session isn't so unproductive!

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree with others! This is a great set of images. They are both colorful and very interesting.

Your keeper rate mirrors mine in wildlife photography! I tend to keep only about 10% of the images.......

Thanks, Karen!

Your keeper rate mirrors mine in wildlife photography! I tend to keep only about 10% of the images.......

My keeper rate for this session was only about 2%. My keeper rate for the entire time I've been making drop art photos is about 3%.

When I first began doing drop art photography, my keeper rate was higher than it is now. That was because every time I produced a type of formation the first few times, they qualified as keepers so long as the images met the other criteria regarding quality. These days I'll cull a typical formation, such as the classic mushroom formation, unless there is something distinctive about it. That distinction may be nothing other than displaying it in a basic color I've never previously used, but there has to be something distinctive to justify keeping it.

Thank you to Allan and Carl!

This type of photography is so challenging that a key mantra for everyone who does it is that it is the process that matters, not just the end results. That's because if you don't enjoy the journey that includes all the trial and error with one heck of a lot of error, you probably won't enjoy making drop art photos.

As an example, I entered into my diary that this session was one of the least productive sessions I've ever had. That's because it was only rarely that I could get the darn drops to collide. And the few times that did happen, the formations were really short. It was unbelievably difficult for me to produce tall jets (columns), even though that's typically fairly easy for me to make happen. Some sessions just don't go well and this was one of them.

Though these photos look fine, the last three are cropped so heavily that they are only about 10% of the captured image file. That's the sort of thing one has to resort to doing when a session doesn't go as well as usual.
Appreciate the detailed response confirming my suspicions. None the less, some day I will venture into this area. I will wait until I ”accumulate” an extra reserve of patience. :)

I picked #3 for a reason. If you picked #2 it could be an inanimate object and the same for #1 but #3 screams movement. The green drop, the waves on the base, all flow and move giving life to the image. Love the colors on all images as they set these apart from the usual fare, placing them a step above many others that we have seen. Well done Mike.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom