1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Last JV Football of the season.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Alan, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I started not to post these after looking at Mike's football pictures, but then I thought maybe someone could help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong compared to Mike's (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=190488). I know different cameras and lenses perform better than mine, btw I'm using D200 with Sigma 70-200 @ 2.8-4. But let's be real, Mike's are astounding, vivid and sharp as a tack. My post-processing skills are not as good as they should be. What can I do to improve on mine, with the equipment I have? Help...and a grateful thank you to anyone who can help out here.

DSC_2154.
    NIKON D200    ---    85mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    ISO 500

DSC_2160.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 500

DSC_2163.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/4.0    1/640s    ISO 500

DSC_2212.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    ISO 500

DSC_2241.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    ISO 500

DSC_2294.
    NIKON D200    ---    70mm    f/2.8    1/500s    ISO 500

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I have to say there is nothign wrong with the quality of these shots, using the 70-200 just means you are going to have to move aroudn and get closer to the action. I shoot tighter but in order to crop you have to begin with an image that fills a good part fo the frame, if you try to crop too much the images IQ will start to decrease.

As far as PP goes I try to spend as little as possible in post, I just dont have the time available. I do a quic levels adjustment where I usually just bring the right and left sliders into where the data start and then adjust the center slider to taste, so to speak. I then set the image size to 800 on the longest side. I then create a duplicate layer
    I then use the smart sharpen filter with a settign of 35 and .3 I apply this up to three tiems or until I get the image just wehre I want it or even a little over. I then use the opacity slider to fien tune the sharpening to where i just want it to be. I then just do a save as and save at level 12 this usually creates a file of about 500 K.
    I hope this helps

3. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks Mike. When taking about 300 shots per game then weeding down to 40-60 keepers, I want to spend as little time as possible in PP. But I understand I have to do whatever it takes to get the best image. I am going to try your suggestions and see how that goes. I really appreciate your advice, and in case I have not told you, your photos are the bomb.

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Alan, the sharpness and exposure look really good on these. The trick is opening up the faces more because that's what is going to sell. Mike is the expert on getting perfect exposures on the faces, it's almost as if the players put on the helmets after he takes the pictures :) .

5. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Alan,
    I think these are really good. I am learning to move around more on the field to get more closer shots of the action.

6. When you look at images the quality of Big Mac's and others you're seeing maximum camera/lens/ human performance honed by years and years of practice.

7. Definitely!

The D300 / 300 2.8 + 1.4 combo gets me shots I couldn't have imagined. Mike's ability gets him shots that I can't imagine! I have less than 2 years of experience, while Mike has been shooting a lifetime, I believe.

It's great to aim to reach Mike's skill level one day, but you can't compare yourself to Mike, if you want to be fair with yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.