Last Leg - HS Track

A series of 4 photos taken during the last leg of the 4x100 girls relay with some light rain coming down. Although this team won easily, this runner didn't coast down the stretch as is evident by her facial expressions. These may not make the best Sportraits. :biggrin:

I was on the infield along the edge of the track using a D300 w/ 70-200 VR. SS 1/500 at f2.8.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed. Thanks for viewing!

1. The home stretch

4x1001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Pulling away

4x1002.jpg

3. Grinding it out.

4x1003.jpg

4. Don't worry...be happy!

4x1004.jpg

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the comments. The focus worked on these, but the next frame was again OOF.

Probably just need for practice and refinement so I can become 1/2 as good as you on a good day, if lucky. :biggrin:

I follow T&F events around the world. I like #2 the most. If you crop out the girl on the left and enlarge the picture, you have a good picture in your hand (could use a bit more sharpness though).

There are other vantage points you may want to consider. Shooting the moment where they pass the batons is one option. Standing behind the finish line and shoot the runners when they cross the line is another option. Especially for the winner, she may give you a great jubilation shot after crossing the line. If you get high up on the bleachers, you can get an overhead shot of the runners crossing the finish line with no or very little background distraction. This works best if the runners are very close to one another, making it an exciting finish.

I follow T&F events around the world. I like #2 the most. If you crop out the girl on the left and enlarge the picture, you have a good picture in your hand (could use a bit more sharpness though).

There are other vantage points you may want to consider. Shooting the moment where they pass the batons is one option. Standing behind the finish line and shoot the runners when they cross the line is another option. Especially for the winner, she may give you a great jubilation shot after crossing the line. If you get high up on the bleachers, you can get an overhead shot of the runners crossing the finish line with no or very little background distraction. This works best if the runners are very close to one another, making it an exciting finish.

Mike -

Thanks for the excellent comments and suggestions. I had thought about cropping these more, but thought the girl on left gave some perspective, etc. I suppose it's all in the what you want conveyed. I also will look to add some sharpening via USM. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom