1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Last nights silhouette

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by jadlh, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Image045.
    NIKON D40X    ---    300mm    f/5.6    1/500s    ISO 320

2. very pretty shot :smile:

3. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    very cool colors

4. very cool shot

5. h2oman

h2oman

Aug 17, 2006
    Quebec City
    Very nice ! Where was it taken ?

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Great emotion in that shot, nicely done.

7. Why did you use 1/500 shutter speed and 5.6 aperture on this shot?

8. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Why?

Just messing around, I took several shots with different settings and this one turned out the best.

9. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Where?

In the channel way of Lake Macatawa toward Lake Michigan, southwest Mich.

10. IMHO: 1) I would do aperture around f13 (and slower shutter speed) to have more sharpness/detail on the sky/sun (unless you specifically wanted it not to be sharp) and 2) would remove that black object on the water - it is not clear what it is and it distracts attention from the beautiful scene you've captured.

11. I disagree.

1) I think that having the focus on the wharf and light house places more emphasis on that part of the image. The soft sun and clouds eases the mood and atmosphere, IMO. Also, depending on what camera was used (I didn't check the EXIF), at f/13, diffraction could already potentially be affecting sharpness.

2) The small boat on the water adds balance to the composition, IMO. Without it, the image would fall to the right and sink. :biggrin:

Of course, this is all only my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  12. I am mesmerized with the colours of the clouds and it's reflection on the water. Beautiful sunset, and great composition.

Spectacular shot!
    Tony

13. It looks great with your setting...Each to there own, I guess:confused: ...I would go manual for this shoot 4 me...
    Very nice photo...:wink:

14. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Another night....

Last night the sky was not as dramatic, here's one that shows how different sundowns can be around here:
    Image012-1.
    NIKON D40X    ---    300mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    ISO 1600

15. Nice capture...:biggrin:

16. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Two great captures. I love the birds in the second shot, especially the one crossing the sun. Well done!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.