Last of the steam fair

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Rob, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    This is a fine example of a travelling fairground workers caravan. The detail and painting is exquisite. Compare the craftsmanship to the 'plastic/aluminium' shed in the right rear.

CopyofDSC_0738copy.

This engine was close to the caravan pictured above, they made a pretty pair. The engine was used for towing several trailers of fairground rides to the shows, then would be linked up by cables to provide electricity to power the various attractions.

PeckhamRye1-1.

A detail from an engine called 'Ollie'.

DSC_0738copy.

The main driving wheel of a ten ton monster called Renown. (name of a former Battleship)

Renown1.

The whistle, steam vents and speed control of the fairground engine pictured above. The device with ball weights is a governor which regulates the engine speed.

Speedcontrol1.

Finally, 'Spitfire', a beautiful example of an agricultural traction engine, in British Racing Green! Not exactly formula 1.

Spitfire2.

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Great photos! I like when you get close and personal. The craftsmanship is incredible, you won't see things like that anymore.

Ron

3. Very high interest photo's for me. The beauty of these old pieces of machinery and trailers is really fascinating. Thanks for sharing this piece of history. Good images. :smile:

4. Every time I see these beautiful examples of a bygone age I long to have lived then.

But, then I realize there was no air conditioning and I change my mind (c:

Woody