last sat at the speedway in jamestown

Most of these images are at 1/160 f-8...d2h and 70-200 at 70mm and on a monopod...maybe the shutter speed is not fast enough?...i'm not sure...just look close and you see only part of the image is sharp and the rest is slightly off...please help me...i'll be back the next week for the opening day...advice is appreciated...thanks

_DSC7923.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC8543.jpg

_DSC8588.jpg

_DSC8621.jpg

_DSC8801.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with the detail of these images. They are all amazing. I don't know how you or anyone can freeze something going so fast. Takes a special talent and a steady hand rotating that camera/monopod. Good going!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

guess you have to take a very close look...generally i the images were shot using the middle focus sensor and maybe that is why that area is the most sharp?...but even at f-8 i would like dof is enough?...or maybe 1/160 is not fast enough... perhaps that is camera shake?...vr is not turned on...should i turn it on?...if so, what mode?

thanks

Heck yes, turn your VR on!

Why on earth would you not want it on? They look pretty darn good to me, although I didn't go over them with a fine tooth comb. Probably just need to work on your panning technique.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I would target a shutter speed of 1/500 and have VR turned on in normal mode. Your shots do give the feeling of speed as they are and the faster shutter (if light allows) and the vr on will help with the issues that you are not happy with.

fks

hi phat-

for a panned subject to be in perfect focus, it has to be moving parallel to the film (or sensor) plane. that doesn't happen most of the time, so you'll end up with parts of the subject out of focus.

try using slower shutter speeds to get the background even more blurred. keep VR on in normal mode. active mode will try to cancel out the motion from panning.

panning is an art that i have yet to master, so take all my advice with a grain of salt :D

ricky

Latest threads

Top Bottom