Last time, which nikon body has the best high ISO?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Daves602, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I am agonising over the D1H and D2HS. For those of you who own or have owned both, which camera gives the better images in high ISO situations? 800 and 1600 is where I will be most of the time. I owned a D2H previously and could get amazing prints up to 75 x 50 centimetres from it. I don't need that size, but of course a little room for cropping comes in handy. A D2HS has the same controls as my D2X, so no re learning and also takes the same batteries......maybe I should go the D2HS? :confused::confused::confused:
    What are others thought's?

2. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Hmm depends, the D2HS, has the same charger, and such as the D2X, so no need to take different batteries, also their LI-ion, so no dissapation over time.

The D1H, though is a fine camera, and very usable at ISO 800. Two things the D1H does have going for it, is that i find the AF better than the D2X, and the body motor has much higher torq, so all screw drive lenses are much much faster.

3. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Mate, have you checked these ? -> http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/nikon_d2hs_highiso_test

The concert shots have NO noise-reduction at all, btw...

I don't own a D1H but i can assure you that ISO 800 on the D2Hs is cleaner than 400 on a D2X and 1600 will still be better than on any other Nikon (current) camera.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask if in doubt.

4. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    My thoughts are these:
    Since the D1H is relatively inexpensive, it's almost a no-risk purchase. You can get one and try it out for a bit and if you decide the photos aren't as clean as you'd like at ISO 800 and 1600, you could probably re-sell the camera and not lose too much since the camera has depreciated in value.
    My secret hope is that you'll love it and post some great photos taken with it! That D1H happens to be my current favorite camera. I must disclose that I haven't used a D2 series yet though.

Lisa

5. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I have a d200, a d1h and a d2h (not s)

I always shoot RAW. IMHO, D1H has the best high ISO noise performance. But I do get pretty decent result with either (with a little bit PP). When I know that I will be shooting high ISO, I almost always pick up the D1H.

6. my experience

The D1H is a dog at high ISO. It gets real mushy after 800, about on par with the D200.

The D2Hs is great at 1600, even 3200, but exposure has to be dead on and any shadow area will be really nasty.

Have you considered a used Fuji S2 or new Fuji S5 if noise is your primary issue? Fuji beats any of Nikon's cameras on noise. I had the S2 and it is a dandy at 800 to 1600, better than the D2H. The focusing is bad, the viewfinder has tunnel vision and the body is plastic, however.

If noise is your primary criteria for selecting a camera, then you need to be looking at Canons. The Mark III is outstanding, but it's also $4,500.

7. The D50 :wink::biggrin:

8. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Sometimes my D200 amazes me at high ISO if the exposure is correct. This is straight out of the camera at ISO 1600 with normal in camera high iso noise reduction, auto everything and only resized in photoshop.

DSC_0162.
    I know the color is muted but that is probably because the lighting was bad (almost non existent). The noise looks perfectly acceptable to me..

I do not have a D1H sample handy at the moment but D1H does even better...

I have always had problems with D2H (noise wise), even if I get the exposure correct...

9. Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions.
    I have purchased a D1H.
    Here is my reasoning.
    1. It was cheap, $600 Australian delivered with a spare battery, yes, I will probably need a few more.
    2. I am 2.5 months out from the gig that I need the camera for. This will give me plenty of time to asses if the D1h has the low noise capacity that I am after and if it focuses as well as I am told it does, if the file size is adequate etc.
    3. If it doesn't do what I need, I will sell it for a loss of maybe $50.
    4. In this time I will continue to research the D2HS and maybe buy one if the D1h doesn't work out.
    5. The D40x was high on the contender list, but my 85mm and 50mm f/1.4's need a screwdriver focus engine......The D40 and D40x only shoot 2.5-3 frames a second and according to the Dpreview report, there is also shutter lag, all 3 of these these things pushed the D40's out of the equation.
    6. If the D1h does the job for me, then I have more money available for the D3H when it comes out.
    7. Switching to canon has crossed my mind, but with my luck, the minute I do buy the Mk111 and a couple of lenses, the D3 series will amaze everyone and I will be kicking myself....and living in my car because my wife will only stand so much competition for affection. As it is, I nurse my 400mm on my lap when I watch tennis competitions on the television (I am a sick puppy).
    I am told the following, I hope it is all true.
    The D1H has a CCD sensor. One of my favourite cameras was the fuji s602 and it had a CCD as well and it rendered beautifull images.
    The D1H is a 10.2 meg sensor, but 4 photosites are combined, giving it the appearance of a 2.7 meg sensor. I am also told that you can force it to give you a 10 meg image through capture.
    The camera has a very fast AF motor, fastest of all Nikons.
    It only has 5 focus sensors which is great as far as I am concerned as I am on the centre one for about 99% of the time.

If I have made a mistake in purchasing, then I can write it down to experience, but at least I will have some time left up my sleeve to rectify things.

10. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    It sure does have a CCD sensor. I've read that it has 2.7 effective megapixels (best 2.7 in my humble opinion).
    One thing it has is 1/16000 sec for some FAST shutter speeds.
    The AF motor is so fast I worry about how much it is cranking down on my poor plastic mount lenses!
    Congrats on your purchase, I do hope you love it as much as I love mine...if that ends up being the case, you'll want another one as a back up.
    You wife should be pretty happy with your purchase of that $4500 pro camera for around $600. Who knew that a pro camera could be so matrimonial friendly :biggrin:
    Please report back once you have it.
    I am considering getting some batterybarn batteries. I haven't done so yet because I have a few Nikons that I'm rotating. Some folks claim the BB batteries hold a nice charge.

Lisa

11. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    The following is true for a D1X and NOT a D1H.

Since you bought a D1H, you might need this...

http://www.moosepeterson.com/digital_library/docs/D1H booklet.pdf

12. Hi all the D1 series of cameras actually had a 10.8 megapixel CCD they were grouped in different combinations 4 or 2 pixels representing 1.

The D1x is the camera that with the right software can interpolate to 10.5 megapixel, owing a D1 D1x D200 & D2x the d1x seems to have the most accurate autofocus for some reason it seems better than the D1, thay also have the most powerful drive motors, the d2x autofocus while being advanced has never been as accurate as the d1x I also feel that the JPEG output from the d1h/x has only just been surpassed and not by the d200 or d2x.

Phillip.

Ps www.batteryBarn.com I use there after market batteries 2700 mAh and have had no trouble with them.

:smile:

13. Well, technically there is 10MP of sensors in the D1s:

Quoted straight from Nikon Imaging (good history article): http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/scene/12/index.htm

my favorite part was when they talked about how the early models needed so much juice to power (several watts) the batteries would die very quickly.