Last two images from Bombay Hook

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I saved my favorites for my last post. I like this one because it is by far my closest shot of flying geese. You're looking at about 1/3 of the full frame.

And I love this one because the geese seem to glow in the bright sun.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice, I can se why you like them alot.

Ya still watchin the weather.
    I'm tryin to blow it away. :>))

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. Yeah, I'm watching the weather. It looks like Florida got lucky because Wilma looks like it's going to hit the Yucutan pretty hard, which will weaken the storm a lot. I guess it could get stronger again as it crosses the Gulf, but I don't think it will get back to a 4 or 5. Listen to me; I sound like I know something about weather and hurricanse. Right. Just about as much as I know about birdies.

Anyhow, I'm not worried about my trip. I am worried about my friends in Florida, but I think you all will be OK.

Gordon

4. Those are some nice looking geese that you have here. Way to go.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ya know Gordon,

I have a feeling also we are not going to get it.

But sure watching.

sure want you to be able to come down and find that Eagle Harry says he sees. But ya know I saw...oh never mind. lololol

Gotta pull his leg ya know.

6. Sweet looking images, I really like the Snow Geese. Would love to see a big blastoff there one of these days...hmmmmmm

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gordon. Here's a great recipe for a perfect day - glorious weather, beautiful birds, and a Cafe pal (Mike Mac) to shoot with. Doesn't get better.

Gordon

8. Gordon,
    Nice shots! It is good to see the real thing. The only ones I’ve seen for years are the non-migrating ones that are taking over the natural habitat of other birds. It’s nice to see them The right way and remember how beautiful they are :smile:

Rich

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

So would I, George. The Snow Geese are only starting to come in to Bombay Hook. I'm guessing that maybe there were 500-1000 there. At the peak I've heard 100,000 plus. Now THAT would be an explosion!

BTW, there is a lake in eastern PA in the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area that also had more than 100,000 last year. Note the concern of biologists on their web page. Might be a short drive for you than BH, and if you want company you would be driving on the PA turnpike about five miles from my house. I'll certainly be visiting early and often.

Here's the web site

Gordon

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Rich, thanks for the compliment about my shots. Your follow-on comment about Snow Geese and what they are doing is all too true. Check out this web site from a wildlife management area, especially the headline story at the top. They are beautiful, but they are causing havoc.

Gordon

11. Sweet nice light they are both great I think we should head back down in
    NOV when the snow geese populations are higher. I still wonder what happened to them that evening

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yep no big flock of geese around me, so I'll just have to enjoy yours :smile:

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

You got a deal for November. Where they went will just be one of the world's great unsolved mysteries.

Gordon

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Ben - You lookin' for sympathy of somethin'? With all the hot birding areas you got in Southern Cal? Fugetaboutit! :tongue:

Gordon

PS. I'm glad you enjoyed my Eastern Snow Geese. BTW, I've seen thousand and thousands of Snow Geese up near Seattle. I don't know whether they were heading south or settling in for the winter. The climate is mild enough that they might be winter residents.

15. Great shots, Gordon! Looking forward to your visit next weekend. Like Gale, am anxious to see the "HarryB Bald Eagle". Looks like Gale and I and hopefully a few others will meet up tomorrow @ Viera. Gotta shake the rust loose before you arrive. That and hopefully get some nice closeups of the Eagle!!

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Kevin. Good luck with the eagle. And don't scare him away!

Gordon