1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Last Week's Whale Watch

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Baywing, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Tues looked to be a good day (heck, any day on the water is better than being at work!) and I headed to Gloucester for a day on the water. Rocker, an adult male, was feeding, using a chin breach, then a kick, to stun his prey. Another adult, male, Regulus, came up to the side of the boat for a few minutes (and I do mean close, the tip of the chin was just 4' from the side of the hull!!!) The afternoon got cloudy, so much for accuracy in forecasts.....

Rocker up for a look. Look close on the left side just above the water for his open eye.
    101189327.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Regulus at the boat, 70mm full image, just resized, no crop.
    101189300.jpg

Rocker on a feeding lunge
    101189259.jpg

Battered from several entanglements and a hard life, the tail still works!
    101189223.gif

2. awesome images
    my wife will love these
    she's been dying to go see some whales
    looks like a wonderful trip

thanks for sharing these with us

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Greg.
    I think for the time being, I'm not going to be posting any more whale photos here as there doesn't seem to be much interest. For those who are interested, feel free to visit my PBase gallery, link in my signature line, and go to the latest whale watch gallery. Feel free to leave comments there or contact me by e-mail with questions. I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending here from now on, so PM's may go unanswered.

4. I am super jealous that you were able to nab these photos. I really need to get out on a whale/dolphin watching excursion one of these days. Those are great photos.

5. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Incredible images...that has to be very exciting to be that close. Great job!
    Scott

6. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Absolutey awesome photos. Well done!!:biggrin:

7. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Nice shots! Thinking of going on a whale watch also. What lens and camera did you use.
    Thanks, Gary

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks. I use a D2x and D300 with 70-200VR and 300 f4.

9. Sounds like you had fun. I went on one last August. I only saw whales at a distance and got seasick. :mad: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.