Last Whale Watch

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    of the 2005 season was Halloween day. With the recent time change, the sun was low to the horizon toward the end of the trip, and it was dark when we returned to port. It was a beautiful day, warm and a light breeze, a fitting end to the season. It was a treat to see the effects of the golden light. This humpback was headed into the sunset.....
    51685309.GoldenBlow_4211.

2. Gorgeous, perfect timing!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like the season ended in style for sure Bay. How long will you have to wait to see them again?

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Frits, the light is great around here when we get unusually warm weather. In the fall, warmth usually means humidity, and when you get days like that, the skies really fire up. I don't usually like it when they are near the glare, but this one was just to the side.

Thanks, Frank. The humps will be around for a while longer, in fact, the forecast is so good thru this weekend, I have been trying to coerce a boat company to go out, but so far, no takers. The boats are done for the year, though the whales will be around till the end of the month feeding. The boats start again first weekend in April, the humpbacks start appearing anywhere from then thru May, the mother/calf pairs are often the last to come north as the calves can't swim fast. It'll be a long winter, but I've signed up for the D200, it'll likely take me the winter to get used to it and get the GPS hooked up and running.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bay,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you have a plan. All I can say is, if I had to wait from 11/1 to 4/1 to shoot birdies, I'd be in terminal withdrawal. :rolleyes:

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The withdrawal pains are real, but what helps is the nasty cold, raw weather. I don't like to be cold, so the thought of going out to sea in the winter does not appeal in the least. Now, I would not mind at all spending a few months with them down in the Barbados, I just have to figure out how to afford it!!!!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic Bay.

Really love that light. Great timing for sure.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Gale. I was a little concerned when I found out how late in the day they were starting the trip. I knew we would be heading back in the dark. I also know that the glare can be a big problem, and given the nature of the humpbacks, they don't always concern themselves with where they come up. This one popped up in the glare, but moved to one side enough to get out of the worst of it. Backlit isn't good for ID shots, but in this case, I'll take it!

9. That is an artistic way to end the season. It looks as if it would have been a great "last page" in a photo book on the whales. I enjoyed your shots this fall immensly.
    Dave

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Enjoyed all your Whale posts, including this one, and yes a fine image to end with.

Look forward to next season.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Beautiful light and beautiful shot. How did you train the whale to head into the sunset while blowing off that cloud of water?

Gordon

12. What a great shot! I know how hard that timing is to get the "blow" shot...

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Jim and Gordon. While I didn't train him, in a way, I did ask him to do that. I am amazed at the way different animals actually take direction. There was a Harris hawk a few years back at a raptor center that would follow verbal commands for posing. This went on for 12 poses in a row, so I know it's more than coincidence......