Last Year's Shrine Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. played in Spartanburg, SC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Ahhhh football starts again soon.....cool....

3. lol
    All Nikon from 1977 until 2007 :(

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    It may be cool in Green bay...but over here, Football is a late summer sport.:biggrin:

5. Very nice Randy!! Showing off the mad skillz already in advance of the upcoming season I see. :) This sets the bar high for any new posts for this fall.

6. thx Steve
    i was actually looking for pics to submit to maxpreps and came across these. Funny how you can look at what you did just 6 months ago and think about the things you would do differently today. All of these have blown highlites and needed ev set down to at least -.3 (it was a brutaly bright day in Spartanburg that day)
    The original PP bumped colors way to much, blowing the reds (I re PPed in NC)....

anyway I am past ready for the season to start altho i do dread the 2nd halfs when it starts to get dark. Last year i had a 30d, this year I am going to try flash....

7. they start next week here w/ scrimmages (full games against other schools) and it's 100 here today....
    one of the scrimmages starts at 6pm...time to sweat

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    A 100...is that all? Do you guys need some sweaters and blankets?:biggrin:

Seriously, it can get dangerous. We had a softball game yesterday, and it was 102 right before start time. At least the girls don't wear all those pads/gear like football players do. Of course, my daughter wears a lot of gear for each 1/2 inning.

BTW, those are some great shots!

9. Yes, I remember that first one...and love it.

10. Randy, as hard on yourself as you can be those shots are still VERY nice. The whites really aren't totally blown out, and the reds aren't really oversaturated. The overall contrast and sharpness of each is top notch. I'd be proud to call those my shots, believe me.

OT, if I wanted to answer you with a little sarcasm (maybe later) I will give you one of my favorite movie quotes of all time, Ty Webb to Judge Smails. "don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch".!!

11. thx Steve

I re-did the PP so those reds are OK...
    I actually LOLed when I saw the jpgs from last year (I shot in RAW) so i redid them before i sent them to maxpreps...

the more you do this the tougher we all seem to get on our own stuff....which is good i think

12. thx Mason...
    strange tho that the shrine bowl picked this one for the cover of this years magazine

[​IMG]

13. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    These are great shots Randy , I 'm going to give football a try this year. Will have to come up with some flash arrangement because like you say ISO 1600 stinks on poorly lighted fields

Max Preps wants Flash shots from what I understand
    Keep them coming

14. thx Mark
    after looking at maxpreps shots it does appear they prefer flash which is actually good for me since i have no other way, except the 1st half anyway...altho i am looking at Canon again (I hated the 30d, but the M3 or M2n may be a better choice)

have fun w/ fb, you will enjoy it, just being on the sidelines is worth it even if the pics are not great

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I agree. While I'm not at your level, I just cringe at some of my stuff from last year..which I thought was decent at the time.

In your case, your stuff seems to get better and better...and you seem get tougher and tougher on yourself. Then maybe that's why your stuff has gotten better and better.

16. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Randy -

I can't tell you how happy I am that you are able to shoot this game.
    I would love to come down and shoot it with you sometime....

These are still some of the finest football photos I have seen to date..
    I thought they were awesome last year and they are still outstanding...

17. thx Rod...
    I could prob get u a press pass if u wanna come down.
    They kinda owe me since I gave them all the pics for free including this year's magazine cover

18. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois

Keep me posted on the date...I may try it this year...We will keep in touch..
    That would be fun to shoot with you for sure.

19. thx Jeff !
    i keep forgetting you are even deeper in the south than we are...102, WOW