Late night D200 test drive...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Ming Thein, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ...from old Kuala Lumpur.

I finally picked up my review sample this evening just after getting off the plane from Jakarta.

All shot at iso 1600 with the new 18-200VR lens. (This lens is incredible! Sharp wide open, and yes, VRII really works - I got a couple of shots 1/5th @ 200mm, and 1/10th @ 200mm consistently).

Some good light shots when the sun comes up again...hoping to take it to shoot some birds on Friday morning.

Ming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I love the look of them! some people might call them noisy but i personally think they really do add a certain bite to these images. Makes me want it even more. Better think of a legal way of getting that $13900HK i need.:Money: Or maybe santa claus really is real and one will magically turn up under our tree, well there's always hope.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent.

Good images and great test.

So GLAD to hear the news on the 18-200 :>)))))))))

Look foward to the shots.

Since I don't have one yet. :<(

Can you use teleconverters on it.
    I have a 1.4 Kinko pro 300.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ming :

Nice work with the new lens, especially with the shutters speeds ? Did you shoot handheld ?

Also good to see KL, a city I really like. I'm trying to persuade my wife to visit Malaysia and S'Pore this next year for holiday.

John P.

5. Thanks everybody.

I'm still not sold on the body yet; it would be a lateral move for me from the D2 (resolution vs. speed, battery life and AF). The lens, however, you'll have to pry from my cold, dead fingers. And Nikon isn't getting their loan unit back until mine arrives :tongue: Yep, all handheld. Mostly around 1/20-1/50, I think.

You can use the Kenko TCs on it (I have the 2x), but the D200 won't be able to focus with it - will just keep hunting. (Interestingly, the D2H/HS *WILL* still AF and lock focus with it - at effective f11!)

Ming

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Ming

Great shots.

Can I ask, what post processing did you do on these pix. I'm especially interested in your sharpening method since these look so great.

Thanks!

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots! I'm waiting for an 18-200VR to use with the D200 I'm getting tomorrow, and will probably replace my 24-120VR.

8. John - I use a progressive sharpening method with about three to four USM passes, progressively getting tighter radius/lower threshold. Pretty much the same thing as using smart sharpen in CS2, actually.

Ken - I had the 24-120VR and the 18-200 kicks the crap out of it...

9. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks, Ming

For the info. I'm gonna give it a try. What settings to you usually start at and finish up with, if you don't mind me asking?

10. Depends on the image, but a good place to start with a D200 RAW file would be say:

100/2/2
    100/1/1
    150/0.4/1

Or if the image is really sharp skip the first two, and add on 200/0.3/0

Ming

11. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thank you again...

I appreciate your info.

12. beautiful...I cant believe you handheld these...that lens is looking mighty tempting to replace my 24-120VR..

I love the (slightly) "noisy" grainy look on these, too...it really works.

13. It's VERY handholdable. 1/10th @200mm is seriously possible, and images will remain almost critically sharp. :biggin:

Ming