late season plant id please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Summer is just now ending here in North Alabama. Today, Patrick and I took the boys on a drive on Alabama Birding Trail #31. While out, I noticed this plant that I thought was very interesting....A hot pink pod with bright orange "berries"...anyone have any clue as to what it might be?

39184091-L.

39184095-M.

I also came across a bunch of these flowers that haven't figured out that summer is over....I sure figured it out as the high today was only about 65 degrees Farenheit...

39184084-L.

Cheers everyone!

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Leigh,
    The red fruit with orange seeds appears to be a Euonymus (perhaps americanus). Common name is Hearts-a-bustin'--wonder why?
    Very nice pic.

3. Jerry is right. It is a species of Euonymus. In the UK we call it Spindleberry and it grows in the hedgerows.

BW. Bob F.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the i.d. Jerry...I had a feeling you would know what it was!

Bob, these things were all along the country road we were on...Just as I was getting back in the truck, Patrick asked if I'd like to get a picture of a snake....not 10 feet from where I had been standing was a snake crossing the road....I jumped in the truck and let Patrick get that one :eek: !!! Leave the snakes, bugs and birds to him and I'll do the plants and flowers!!!!!!!

Cheers everyone!

5. See you have the ID Leigh. Sure is a pretty flower and aptly named. Nice color, exposure and detail.

6. Oh Leigh why leave them alone. I am sure that they would take one look at you and roll over to have their tummy's tickled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BW. Bob F.