1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Late season rose, Stacked 10 frames

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Vincent T, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Not a lot of flowers around but the primroses are still blooming

original.

Taken in my makeshift studio with my new strobes and soft boxes.
    Thanks for looking, Vince

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  2. scenario

scenario

Jan 2, 2007
    new zealand
    love it did you need that many for a stack
    SCENARIO

3. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    holy moly that is nice

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Very nice detail here.:wink:

5. Yeahhhhh ! That's DOF !

...and the choice of this flower was excellent !

:smile:
    J-P.

PS. what software did you use ?

6. I do not know how many shots are really needed for a stack. I only downloaded the software about an hour before trying this. The software is Helicon Focus. The theory in doing one of these seems pretty straight forward, but I think I will need a lot more time playing with the lighting. Thanks for all the comments. Now, Back to the camera!
    Vince

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Interesting process, you made a nice image Vincent

8. Hey Vince !

As you seem to be interested in stacking images, why don't you try CombineZP ?

I've ben using Helicon Focus for a while, but i found CombineZP, which is a FREE software, that sometimes gives even better results than Helicon Focus !

Here's a product shot i've done yesterday (sorry for the watermarks, but...) ! I first tried to stack the 20 shots with Helicon Focus, but the resulting image wasn't as good as i wanted, so i used CombineZP and..... VOILA !

Nikon D200 + Nikor 55mm. f/2.8 micro - 1:250 @ f/8 - ISO 100

To see the original 4031x2687 *.JPG image, click into the image below, then click again into the image appearing on the new screen.
    original.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but i thought that this might interess you :wink: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  9. J-P, No problem with the thread. We are all here to learn from each other. This is really my first attempt at stacking. I like to keep an open mind when it comes to photography and I love trying new things. I will give Combine zp a try with the same images and I'll let you know how it works out, Vince P.S. very pretty shot.

10. Wonderful image - beautifuly done

11. Wow! What a stunning image. Great shot, DoF, Perfect lighting exposure. :eek: :eek: 

12. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Wonderful shot with great stacking technique. :) 

13. jlcabral

jlcabral

Jul 12, 2008
    Colorado
    Vincent, your primrose is fabulous! I am so excited to get some time to get back in the studio and try doing some flowers with Helicon Focus. I bought the program several months ago, and still haven't found the time to even try it.

I have one question - what lighting did you use, and did you adjust it with various shots? I don't know if stacking has the same effect as multiple exposures, although I would think it would. I have the D300 and multiple exposure has "auto gain" so it adjusts the exposure for you automatically once you set how many shots you are going to take.

Thanks in advance! Again, GREAT shot! Jan

14. I used two studio flashes in softboxes from an angle on either side down on the same plane as the flower. I also used a Sb800 on a stand with a cardboard snoot to bounce it off the ceiling. The snoot keeps the flash from adding light directly onn the subject. This took care of any shadows the softboxes threw. I did not vary anything between shots except focus. This is all new to me so I keep experimenting.
    Thanks for the comments, Vince

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.