Late yesterday and early today assortment

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Spent a couple of hours late yesterday and early this morning photographing whatever would cooperate. From the dam area and a field near my home.

A VERY BRAVE or VERY STUPID Dragonfly landed right by this Green Heron. The heron moved his head S L O W L Y and snapped at it after about two minutes but missed.

[​IMG]

Did a nice pose for me.

[​IMG]

Kingbird landing.

[​IMG]

Very cute Killdeer chick. I saw these yesterday and went back this morning and finally found them again. Taken with the 500 and 2X converter.

[​IMG]

A cute pose.

[​IMG]

One of the parents in some buttery light.

[​IMG]

2. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shots. I love the Killdeer chick.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Super set Andy. I'm impressed by the 500 + 2.0 TC. Still very sharp. Did you focus manually for these or did the AF still work satisfactorily?

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks for looking Jimmy.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks Frank. I went out this morning specifically to test this combo. It does autofocus about as well as I expected but it can be frustrating. I manually focused and tweaked with autofocus when the bird was in the frame. The combo is useable if the extra reach is needed and that's what I wanted to find out today. I was surprised by the apparent sharpness and the images are definitely useable but not as sharp as with a 1.4 attached as I expected. At least I know I can put the 2X on if absolutely necessary and get acceptable images but I wouldn't want to use the combo exclusively.

6. Fremlin

Fremlin

Jan 29, 2006
    Scotland
    The Kildeer chick pics are amazing!

7. Well Done Andy

I'm not sure that 1000mm is what you need but It works

8. Andy these are all great. I have to admit that as much as I love the first shot - the Killdeer chick is just too cute. What a cutie. :)

Thanks for sharing

Lil

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you very much.

Thanks Gary, there's been times I wish I had 10,000mm's.:biggrin:

Thanks! Cute trumps about anything doesn't it? :wink:

10. Super set Andy.

11. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Great captures Andy,the baby killdeer is neat and really like your greenie too:smile:

12. Great series Andy. I have had no trouble with AF and the 2X with my 1d but it won't work with the 20D. I have even tried stacking with the 1.4 and it still AF and also the IS continued to work but I assure you any TE over that 1.4 shows up and that is the reason I own the Sigma 800 5.6 HSM. A great piece of glass for the money. I just bought a new BushHawk and have tried it out yesterday and it works fantastic. Like useing a rifle with a red dot site and sooooo steady. WIll post some photos later as I stll have not processed.
    Lou