Late yesterday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 11, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I was across the road in the field, trying to get a shot of an approaching storm. Lightning was striking in the sky directly in the background..
    That shot I didn't get, and when I saw and heard the rain coming I high tailed it back home. About an hour later, just after dark, lightning struck a tree about 100 yards from the house and set it on fire..
    We called the fire dept so maybe the tree could be saved..
    I hope it can, even though the area it is in is full of trees, I still hate losing one.
    Jarrell

2. WOW!!!! Amazing that lightning can do that amount of damage. We always view it as something that we should try to photograph! This will also remind me not to hide under trees on the golf course!!!!!!! :( :( :( Sure hope the tree makes it.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jarrell,

Great shots, but you be careful, you hear!?!!

4. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Oh, you are so good! Love the first one. great colors.

5. Yes be careful! I can see the headline "Nikonian struck by lightning, using 600mm and D2X as lightning rod".

6. Very nice shots Jarrell. Really interesting about the lighting strike and the fire inside a live tree.

7. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Jarrell......

Really nice images. Lucky no one was under that tree :).

I so enjoy viewing the work of artists like you. Thanks for posting

Regards

8. Jarrell;

Thankfully no one but the tree was hurt. That first shot is spectacular. Thanks for posting it. And good luck to the tree.

Brian

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I just came back home and walked over to see the damage in daylight. It looks as though the tree was a bit on the hollow side already and the lightning has helped it along.
    I know it was a very foolish thing to do, kneeling in that open pasture to shoot lightning,.... but it's such a rare shot to get. I don't think I'll do it again. Not til the next storm at any rate.
    Jarrell

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great Images Jarrell.

Thanks for sharing.

11. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Jarrell,
    Great Shots. Good move hightailing it out of there before the lighting struck you or your camera. Sorry about the tree, hopefully it pulls through.

12. Jarrel, good shots and story. It is amazing what trees can withstand. I was in Oklahama City last year and went to the Federal Building Memorial. There is a tree still standing where a bunch of cars were blown up and burned by the blast. Tree is doing find, and is now a memorial of its own. Hope yours does as well.

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I love that photo in the field..

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Mustve been a small strike - the tree's still standing.

Lucky it wasn't you!

15. Nice seriers Jarrell!! The first shot is so........golden!! I love it!! :D :D :D

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, you can really see the rains comin!

That shot of the ember-glowing tree trunk is amazing!

17. truly amazing shots! Really neat that you could get that opportunity.