Late yesterday

I was across the road in the field, trying to get a shot of an approaching storm. Lightning was striking in the sky directly in the background..
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That shot I didn't get, and when I saw and heard the rain coming I high tailed it back home. About an hour later, just after dark, lightning struck a tree about 100 yards from the house and set it on fire..
View attachment 8586
View attachment 8587
We called the fire dept so maybe the tree could be saved..
View attachment 8588
I hope it can, even though the area it is in is full of trees, I still hate losing one.
Jarrell

WOW!!!! Amazing that lightning can do that amount of damage. We always view it as something that we should try to photograph! This will also remind me not to hide under trees on the golf course!!!!!!! :( :( :( Sure hope the tree makes it.

Hi Jarrell......

Really nice images. Lucky no one was under that tree :).

I so enjoy viewing the work of artists like you. Thanks for posting

Regards

Jarrell;

Thankfully no one but the tree was hurt. That first shot is spectacular. Thanks for posting it. And good luck to the tree.

Brian

I just came back home and walked over to see the damage in daylight. It looks as though the tree was a bit on the hollow side already and the lightning has helped it along.
I know it was a very foolish thing to do, kneeling in that open pasture to shoot lightning,.... but it's such a rare shot to get. I don't think I'll do it again. Not til the next storm at any rate.
Jarrell

Jarrel, good shots and story. It is amazing what trees can withstand. I was in Oklahama City last year and went to the Federal Building Memorial. There is a tree still standing where a bunch of cars were blown up and burned by the blast. Tree is doing find, and is now a memorial of its own. Hope yours does as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom