latenight fire

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by MikeR, Apr 7, 2007.

1. the call went through around 10:30-11:00 lastnight and at 1:00 this morning, the fire dept. was still there. when i first started freelancing, authorities didnt want me around. period. now the more i go, the more they are used to me. for example, this fire took place down a dead end road in the woods. as i left the scene, another truck was backing down to replenish the water. "hey, this is something you should photograph" the driver said with a smile on. oh course he kept driving and i was unable to shoot it.

emrhousefire04.

i need to started bringing a monopod to late night shoots.

View attachment 88995

then around 8:00 this morning, the house re-kindled.

View attachment 88996

comments / suggestion?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mike, if you haven't done it already, stop by the local FD and PD to introduce yourself. Making them familiar with you a the perfect first step. They are probably just concerned for your safety and not really concerned about your interest in shooting the scene. Additionally, go buy a reflective safety vest and have "photography" stenciled on the back. If you look pro, they'll treat you accordingly.

3. never thought about that. good idea.

every fire / police call there has been locally lately, ive tried to get out there; even if i dont shoot. just so we are all firmiliar with each other, share a few words, etc.

4. Ooops!

More over-hauling!! :tongue:

Nice shots. I suspect if you drop off free copies at the fire house, you'll make friends fast!

5. That is what I did some time ago. I was amazed by the response, those images are now framed and hang in the new fire station.