Latest iPod Nano (charging problems)

Do I have to buy a new charger to charge up the new nano (16 GB)?

My older one fits, the cables fine, but I can't seem to get the battery charged.

The ipod works fine as long as it's plugged, but no battery power.

Well, the new charger doesn't work either. I was reading in Apple discussions board, that I'm not the only one who has had this issue. Could be a design flaw.
I bought one 4th Gen ipod nano, wouldn't charge. Returned it, got another, wouldn't charge, bought a new generation charger, still won't charge.
So the ipod nano is going back, and I'm not buying another, until I know the issue is resolved.
And that so many are having the exact same issues at me, makes me think it's not just the charger.
That is, it works fine as long as it has AC power, or powered by USB with Mac computer.
Unplug it and nothing...no matter how long it had been charging.
Never had a problem with any ipod before. None. This is my 4th ipod.
Disappointed to say the least.

Sounds like some sort of issues with the battery..... That's too bad -- I can imagine that you're disappointed! A friend has a newish iPod Nano, but I'm not sure if it's the very latest version or not -- she's had no problems with the charging or playing it when it's not plugged in.

ETA: just did a little Googling and realized that the problem is that the 4th gen iPod (like the iPhone 3G and 3G S⃣ ) won't work with 3rd-party charging devices with firewire. Now the charger is USB . When the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2 came out there was a lot of grumbling for the same reason. People who have head units in their cars in order to play/charge their iPod or iPhone were particularly upset to find that while they could still play the device there was no charging going on.

There IS a solution:
Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G for about $20 at Amazon. Apparently you can connect your older device to this and it will charge as well as play..... This would be especially helpful for people who have head units in their cars or iHome or other speaker sets at home.

Another solution is to buy the wall plug charger that Apple sells for the iPhone 3G and plug in your iPod and its accompanying cable, so that you can charge the device at home without needing to plug it into the computer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Connie,
I did buy the wall charger (Apple), with the accompanying USB cord, but no luck.
I just returned the ipod today. Maybe the problems will be sorted out soon.
Never, ever had any problems/issues with any Apple product till now.
That includes, multiple ipods and computers.
I'll wait till Apple has taken "charge" of the problem.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom